USB Boot Network Drivers

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
penzipa

USB Boot Network Drivers

Post by penzipa »

Is there any way to add nic drivers to the recovery image you have that can be installed to a USB drive. I can boot up and when I try to add the driver for the nic via the 'add driver' the driver is loaded but I suspect it just not the place for nic drivers as it has no way to get a dhcp address after that. Is there some way to inject a nic driver into the image? or do you have any suggestions on how I can create my own boot disk with this drive and aisbackup?

Thanks in advance
Barry
Site Admin

Installing device drivers on restore CD

Post by Barry »

Sorry about the time replying to this post; a suitable PC that would not boot with enabled NIC devices with the restore CD had to be found. In the end an ASUS A7N8X was found that did boot with enabled NVIDIA Ethernet, but without an enabled 3COM Ethernet. The NVIDIA was disabled in BIOS so the PC booted without a working Ethernet port owing to missing drivers on the AISBackup restore CD.

A command prompt was started in which the command IP CONFIG was entered, the result was WINDOWS IP CONFIGURATION; this confirmed that Ethernet was not working.

The AISBackup boot CD was swapped with the ASUS A7N8X drivers CD and the 3COM drivers loaded using the AISbackup boot CD Load a Device Driver option.

The command prompt was returned to and IP CONFIG command entered once more, this time the reply included IPv4 Address . . . . 192.168.1.173 and I was able to map a network drive.

To answer your question; the only way to pre-load the drivers is to make the AISBackup restore CD using the WAIK method detailed under Making the boot CD Flash Drive using WAIK here: http://aiscl.co.uk/restorecd.php

Additional notes:

To map the network drive using the command prompt net commands enter:

NET USE * \\DESTINATIONCOMPUTER\SHARENAME

when prompted for the user name it must be entered as DESTINATIONCOMPUTER\USERNAME or you will get an incorrect context message; enter the password as requested. Use the Restore from local drive option as the drive will be pre-mapped (The drive letter is advised on successful completion of NET USE - usually Z:).

Barry
Barry
Site Admin

AISBackup update

Post by Barry »

The next version of AISBackup will display the IP address on the caption bar to assist with troubleshooting network problems when using the AISBackup Restore CD. The IP address is checked after any additional device driver is loaded (as AISBackup will not know what the device driver was for).

Barry
nikkil

Re: AISBackup update

Post by nikkil »

Barry wrote:The next version of AISBackup will display the IP address on the caption bar to assist with troubleshooting network problems when using the AISBackup Restore CD. The IP address is checked after any additional device driver is loaded (as AISBackup will not know what the device driver was for).

Barry
This feature is promising. Any notes yet if this was made possible already?
You're never a loser until you quit trying. Image
Barry
Site Admin

IP Address in caption

Post by Barry »

The latest version of AISBackup displays the IP address in the caption bar when using the bootable restore media.

Barry