Path length inconsistency between Selection and Backing up?

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
Aquarjen

Path length inconsistency between Selection and Backing up?

Post by Aquarjen »

There seems to be a discrepancy between AISBackup FINDING a file for backup and actually backing it up. It looks as a path length problem as I can find files like these in the backups that have shorter path's.

The total path length in this sample consisted of 168 characters, including "d:\".

d:\[107 chars]AlbumArt_{52FCB682-28F7-4EFB-A0D0-2E0123A4BA65}_Small.jpg
d:\[107 chars]AlbumArt_{52FCB682-28F7-4EFB-A0D0-2E0123A4BA65}_Large.jpg

In practice it's a little weirder. Only the Small.jpg file here is reported at each backup but both cannot be found by AISBackup's Find function in the backup. Both filenames are of equal length.

I'm using AISBackup 398.
Barry
Site Admin

Backup based on path length

Post by Barry »

The path length of 'small' in the example is 71, pelase supply the actual full path so that the problem can be replicated here.

The usual maximum path length in Windows is 260 characters, however AISBackup can handle longer path lengths than the Windows maximum by storing files using their short (8.3) name instead (and making a record of the actual long path name).

The Windows maximum path length is 260 whereas the NTFS maximum path length is around 30,000 characters. Each element (directory, filename) should not exceed 255 characters.

Please send the job files for this backup using the Help / Bug Report function.

Barry
Aquarjen

Re: Backup based on path length

Post by Aquarjen »

Hi Barry,

You seem to have ample room for the paths so I took a look and it's getting weirder.

- The small file has proven to be on backup and it does restore.
- The full pathname is 168 characters:
D:\MultiMedia\Sound\John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers\Silver Tones - The Best of John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers\AlbumArt_{52FCB682-28F7-4EFB-A0D0-2E0123A4BA65}_Small.jpg
-There seems to be something special going on with my MultiMedia folder as some of the folders seem to be excluded from AISBackup's Tools | Find feature.
- AISBackup Find cannot find ANY file in ANY folder marked <NOT FINDABLE> and paths in some a much shorter and files in them seem to backup perfectly with the exception of AISBackup erroneously selecting the unchanged 'Small" file for backup repeatedly.

D:\MultiMedia\$CardReader Mapped Sandisk Reader with 4 slots
D:\MultiMedia\Graphic <NOT FINDABLE>
D:\MultiMedia\Photo
D:\MultiMedia\Sound <NOT FINDABLE>
D:\MultiMedia\Sound Miscellaneous
D:\MultiMedia\Video <NOT FINDABLE>

Aquarjen.