TrueCrypt and Windows 7 64bit compatability

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
mart

TrueCrypt and Windows 7 64bit compatability

Post by mart »

I am experiencing the problem described in the following thread:

http://aiscl.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=819

I am backing up a 64bit Windows 7 system volume to a TrueCrypt encrypted external drive partition, and getting the following errors:

Failed to initialise Volume Shadow Copy Service for Drive:C:\
Failed to initialise Volume Copy Shadow Service on drive
Could not backup: ..... Opened Exclusive File Support Failed

Is there any solution to this? I'm using the latest version of TrueCrypt (September 1 2011, version 7.1)

I didn't want to use AISBackup encryption because it relies on zip file encryption which according to wikipedia is "seriously flawed". Your documentation doesn't do anything to convince me otherwise so I'm not prepared to rely on it.

What is your recommendation for making a securely encrypted backup on Win7 64bit?

Thanks
Martin
Barry
Site Admin

Post by Barry »

AISBackup and TrueCrypt

For some reason TrueCrypt causes Microsoft's VSS to malfunction; if you start a command prompt running as an administrator without TrueCrypt running then type:

vssadmin list shadows

You will see a list of shadow copies, if any.

Now mount your volume in TrueCrypt then run the vssadmin command again; you will see an error.

I mention this because TrueCrypt may cause other software to malfunction and not just AISBackup.

The work around (I found be experimenting) is to mount the TrueCrypt volume as removable media: Dismount the drive you just mounted and then click Mount then click Mount Options, select Mount volume as removable medium then click OK, enter your password then click OK once more.

Retry the vssadmin command and you will see it works - and so too will AISBackup.

Barry
gavind

Post by gavind »

Hi mart, just curious on this. Were you able to find a work around by any chance?
110%, all the time. Image
Barry
Site Admin

AISBackup and TrueCrypt

Post by Barry »

The latest version of AISBackup works with TrueCrypt that has drives mounted as external.

That is the backup of open exclusive files now works when backing up to an encrypted drive.

Barry