Misses outlook pst file

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
lscott

Misses outlook pst file

Post by lscott »

My backup's always miss the outlook.pst file. Why is that?
I'm sure outlook is not running when I backup
Win xp pro
outlook 2000
Barry
Site Admin

Outlook.pst

Post by Barry »

Have you got another program that uses Outlook.pst, the reason I ask is because the Customer Services system here uses outlook.pst for the automation of some of the e-mail processing.

One way to check is to press ctrl, alt & delete to start-up the task manager. Click the Processes page and look for OUTLOOK.EXE. Close down Outlook and see if there are any copies of OUTLOOK.EXE still running.

Are you getting AISBackup to close down Outlook, backup, and then restart Outlook?

Make sure Outlook is running.

Manage Backup / Task Manager

Either look for the Outlook.lnk shortcut (Desktop or Programs button) or click OUTLOOK.EXE in the open tasks list.

Click Test Unload, OUTLOOK.EXE should now be removed from the task list.

If it is click Test Launch, Outlook should start up again.

If OUTLOOK.EXE did not close down, look for another program in the task list that may be using it. Try the Test Unload with this.

Once you have identified all programs that are holding on to outlook.pst you can add them to the Task Manager list by using the Add button.

If you want more help with this please let us know.

BTW: I have noticed that if Outlook is in the middle of checking POP3 accounts when the close task request is issued OUTLOOK.EXE does not always close down. This would probably mean the outlook.pst gets backed up most of the time rather than not at all. Another symptom of this is Outlook does not start properly unless OUTLOOK.EXE is stopped by using the End Process option of Task Manager.

Barry
Nick Og

Closing down applications on OTHER machines in the network

Post by Nick Og »

Can I add my tuppeny worth here? Is it possible to add the ability to shiut down apps on other machines in a network? That might be a bit 'dodgy' but, running AIS to back up files on other machine sin the network can hit the same locked file oroblem. It would be useful to be able to select and shut down and restart remote programs.
Regards

Nick
Barry
Site Admin

Backing up remote open files

Post by Barry »

To close down an application on a remote machine you would have to be able to communicate with a program on the remote side to tell it to shut down the application. The easiest way to get this scenario working is to use AISBackup on each PC to backup to a removable disk on the ‘backup server’.

Barry
Nick Og

Difficult - as I thoght

Post by Nick Og »

Hi Barry,

(Don't you rest? :) ) Yes - I suspected that woul be complex. In my small office I can do it manually but seeing your response to some other question I thought I would throw it in as an idea.

Nck
Regards

Nick