Intermediate Checkpoint Save very slow

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
johngie

Intermediate Checkpoint Save very slow

Post by johngie »

For some reason, the Intermediate Checkpoint Save process is taking a very long time, with the Backup Contents indicator creeping across taking some three minutes to complete each time. I'd not noticed this before - what could be the cause and can it be speeded up?

I have the latest version, running in Win XP and backing up to a USB connected hard drive.

Regards

John
johngie

Post by johngie »

Just to add: the final "Save Backup Contents File" took far longer than expected too. In fact the backup of some 3GB (compressed to about 1.8GB) took nearly 50 minutes. From usual experience I would have expected it to complete in less than 20 minutes.

John
Barry
Site Admin

Checkpoint save

Post by Barry »

There is no reason within the current version of AISBackup for a slowdown in the checkpoint save; however if memory serves me right the checkpoint save used to check for deleted files on each save and that considerably increased the save time. AISBackup only checks for deleted files on the final save now as it knows that files that have been backed up exist.

Other than that there may be a hardware problem. Is the backup itself performing okay?

Barry
johngie

Re: Checkpoint save

Post by johngie »

Barry wrote:There is no reason within the current version of AISBackup for a slowdown in the checkpoint save; however if memory serves me right the checkpoint save used to check for deleted files on each save and that considerably increased the save time. AISBackup only checks for deleted files on the final save now as it knows that files that have been backed up exist.

Other than that there may be a hardware problem. Is the backup itself performing okay?

Barry
Yes the backup itself is fine. The computer, and the external drive that takes the backup, perform completely normally.

John
Barry
Site Admin

Intermediate svae

Post by Barry »

AISBackup stores the backup databse in memory so there may be a problem if the virtual page usage exceeds the physical installed RAM; this means that Windws will be going to very slow disk rather than compared to very fast memory.

Crtl, Alt & Delete

Task Manager

Performance tab

Divide physical memory by 1024 and compare with PF Usage

PF Usage > (physical memory / 1024) = slow computer

The number of files will also make a difference, for example a couple of million files will take a long time - regardless of space take by the files.

Does it take a long time to load the database during a restore?

Barry
Barten

Post by Barten »

johngie wrote:Just to add: the final "Save Backup Contents File" took far longer than expected too. In fact the backup of some 3GB (compressed to about 1.8GB) took nearly 50 minutes. From usual experience I would have expected it to complete in less than 20 minutes.

John
yes , right