back up file format and manual restore

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
Brook

back up file format and manual restore

Post by Brook »

I'm about to try out aisbackup and was wondering about the following.

Are backup files in a standard zip format that can be read by third party zip/unzip programs?

Can I restore files manually with an unzip program rather than using the AIS restore functions? I would like the capability to restore files on another computer from back ups on DVDs in the event that my home computer becomes totally unusable (major crash, fire, etc.), without the need to load AIS software.

Brook
Barry
Site Admin

Post by Barry »

AISBackup uses standard zip file format unless the file is very large (by default > 100MB, but you can change this). We have been often asked why AISBackup produces so many zip files, this is to make options like session pruning more efficient. Having said that we now allow the size and number of files per zip file to be altered by using the menu item Tools / Program Options / Advanced Options. This option can also be set on a per script basis using Manage Backup / Edit Script Parameters.

Why don’t you keep a copy of AISBackup along with the key file on a CD? I’m sure it would be much more efficient to get AISBackup to do the restore rather than ploughing through zip files. Also, AISBackup will restore folders with their original attributes (hidden, read only, compressed etc).

Barry
Brook

describe the key file

Post by Brook »

Barry,

Your suggestion to keep AISBackup on a CD is good. How do I locate the key file you mention?

Brook
Barry wrote:AISBackup uses standard zip file format unless the file is very large (by default > 100MB, but you can change this). We have been often asked why AISBackup produces so many zip files, this is to make options like session pruning more efficient. Having said that we now allow the size and number of files per zip file to be altered by using the menu item Tools / Program Options / Advanced Options. This option can also be set on a per script basis using Manage Backup / Edit Script Parameters.

Why don’t you keep a copy of AISBackup along with the key file on a CD? I’m sure it would be much more efficient to get AISBackup to do the restore rather than ploughing through zip files. Also, AISBackup will restore folders with their original attributes (hidden, read only, compressed etc).

Barry
Barry
Site Admin

AISBackup Key File

Post by Barry »

You get the key file when you purchase AISBackup.

Barry