Backing up opened exclusive files

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
Trevor

Backing up opened exclusive files

Post by Trevor »

Hi

I am running version 2.9.0.398 on windows XP home edition. I have had no problem previously but the program has begun to fail when attempting to backup exclusively closed files.

It completes the backup of the registry, loads the message "preparing to back up opened exclusive files on c:\, and then hangs. No other notification appears in the box.

The only change I have made is to add Norton Internet Services, but AISB runs perfectly well with it on my other machine and in any case it is on the norton list of permitted programs.

The log shows :-

16:34:16 REG Finished Registry Backup
16:34:16 INF Backing up 16 Exclusively Opened Files
16:38:17 EXCEPTION Exception: Exception: VSS Aborted wating for VSS GatherWriterMetadata to complete.
16:38:17 EXCEPTION Component: fAquariusBackup
16:42:37 EXCEPTION Exception: Exception: VSS Aborted wating for VSS GatherWriterMetadata to complete.
16:42:37 EXCEPTION Component: fAquariusBackup
16:42:37 ERR Failed to initialise Volume Copy Shadow Service on drive C:\
16:42:38 ERRNS Could not backup: C:\Documents and Settings\Trevor\Application Data\Skype\shared_dynco\dc.db Opened Exclusive File Support Failed

I have checked the vss service before starting backup and it is stopped, manual.

I checked it again while the program was hung and the service showed as running.

The Application Event Viewer shows a VSS error, event no. 8193.

I have tried running vssadmin list writers, but no writers are listed. I get the same result from vssadmin list shadows.

I can find nothing on the Microsoft site which helps, so am totally stuck.

Have you any advice please?

Thanks

Trevor
Barry
Site Admin

VSS Problems

Post by Barry »

VSS can be a pain in the neck to repair and the lack of good troubleshooting information makes matters worse.

Often repairing VSS can fix the problem so the repair option was built into AISBackup for Windows XP a few years ago (although it is not well documented). The option is not shown for unsupported versions of Windows.

Tools / Extra Tools / Register / Repair Volume Copy Shadow Service (VSS)

Barry
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

Thanks Barry. That fixed it.

Thanks, too, for your very speedy response. To send a message late on Friday evening and receive a solution on Saturday shows a devotion beyond the call of duty. :D

Regards

Trevor
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

Hi Barry

A possible fly in the ointment. When I restarted the machine this morning, after yesterdays successful re-registering vss, the Norton Internet Security live update system failed with a corrupt file. (error 3047:53). Windows also reported a corrupt file and advised running chkdsk. I did this, which fixed the problem.

It may, of course, be just a coincidence that the AISB adjustment and the NIS fault happened at the same time, but perhaps worth flagging up?

In any case your program is still working fine.

Regards

Trevor