System Crash and Reboot at Do Snapshot.set

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
engine

System Crash and Reboot at Do Snapshot.set

Post by engine »

Running AIS Version 2.8.0.390
OS XP Pro SP3
Hardware HP DC5700 to Freecom USB 500Gb HD.
Backup to external HD via USB.
Backup Destination [XD]:\MJBackup.zip

All has been working fine for years, until, I noticed the backup causes a system crash right at the point where it says, do snapshot.set. It crashes and reboots.

I checked I had the latest version of AIS, which was already installed.

Any suggestions or idea?
Barry
Site Admin

AISBackup and VSS

Post by Barry »

VSS may be corrupt, or maybe the disk where the shadow copies are held is corrupt (If you only have one disk partition this is the C: drive).

Please try the AISBackup menu option Tools / Extra Tools / Register/Repair Volume Copy Shadow Service and then retry the backup.

If that does not work try a CHKDSK on the disks (C: drive etc) - A reboot will be required.

Barry
engine

Post by engine »

Hi Barry,

Thanks for the suggestions.

I tried both those options and AIS still causes the system to crash at the same point.

Once rebooted, as before, the Microsoft crash message comes up.

Any other suggestions?
Barry
Site Admin

VSS Causes System Crash

Post by Barry »

I would like to think that Microsoft's VSS is causing the system crash and not AISBackup.

Are there any messages in the system evant logs at the time of failure?

Also the crash / re-boot is most likely a BSOD error, please disable auto-restart so and make a note of the actual 'Blue screen' STOP error. I hope a Google of the stop error along with the 'DoSnapshotSet' command will reveal a solution.

To disable restart:

Start / right click Computer / Properties

Advanced tab / Startup and Recovery / Settings

Uncheck Automatically restart

Barry
engine

Post by engine »

Thanks Barry,

OK, that gave me what I guess is the BSOD
Bad Pool Header
Stop 0x00000019 (0x00000020, 0xe49928b8, oxe49928d8, 0x0c040401)
Where do I go from here?
engine

Post by engine »

Does anyone have any ideas what to do next, apart from to stop using ais?
Barry
Site Admin

VSS problem

Post by Barry »

I have done some research on this problem and the following url is specifically about the stop errpr 19 when using backup programs that use VSS.

http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic94820.html

I could not see an absolute fix for the problem but there were a number of suggestions.

As you can see some of the people with the problem tried more than one backup solution and all caused the STOP 19 error when VSS was initialised.

One of the better solutions (or work around) was to set-up another partition on the PC to make a dual boot system, this way you can attempt a repair without compromising your existing Windows system. If possible use an AISBackup backup of your system drive from when the PC was working and then copy any data from the non-working version (just restore a current backup of documents and settings) to the second copy of Windows.

Interestingly some of the users had problems after using an image program like Acronis or Norton Ghost to make a restore. I have made many complete system restores with AISBackup on Windows XP without causing problems with VSS. The 64-bit Windows 7 professional system being used to reply to your post was recently restored to a new drive using AISBackup to facilitate a disk upgrade; there is no problem with VSS on this system.

Barry
engine

Post by engine »

Thanks Barry, I really appreciate your efforts.

I'm out of my depth on this one. :?
jannypan

Post by jannypan »

Does anyone have any ideas what to do next, apart from to stop using ais?
engine

Post by engine »

What I did was to open up AIS Backup, and click on manage back up, then change back up job settings. look for "back up exclusive (locked)" option..."
unclick that option.

Now, AIS doesn't crash, however, as I understand it, opened files don't get backup up.

The most important thing is that my data is still backed up.

HTH