Problems backing up to a network drive

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
Markus

Post by Markus »

Hi Barry,
I have a problem backing up to a network-drive.
The Network-Share is mapped as drive L: on my Windows XP. I can access drive L without problems from the windows-explorer.
When I start the backup-job (with "run backup" or "preview") AISBackup nearly every time tells me the follwing:
  • Could not connect backup destination or the backup is incomplete:
    \\SRV3\backup-enc\
    Run Manage Backup / Validate (Test) Backup
    The backup job has not been loaded
When I run the validate-function afterwards it works without problems. Sometimes I can start the backup afterwards but most of the time I get the error-message again.
The Network-drive is an encrypted folder on a synology DS-209, but encryption is completely transparent to the windows system.

Do you have any suggestions what´s going wrong here?

Thanks in advance fpor your help
Regards
Markus

P.S.: AISBackup is version 2.8.0.390
Backup to: Nework Drive.
Backup Destination: \SRV3\backup-enc\AISBackup\hidrive\hidrive.azp
Markus

Post by Markus »

Hi Barry!
I found out how to get the backup work everytime: If I open a command-prompt and go to the target-directory before I start the backup it works. But I really have to go to the target-directory, it´s not enough to change to the target-drive.
Do you have an idea what could be the reason?
Regards
Markus
Barry
Site Admin

Network problem

Post by Barry »

I have no idea why you should need to go to the destination folder prior to running the backup. I have come across problems when AISBackup is running as a administrator on Windows Vista and the drive has been mapped from a non-administrators account.

AISBackup uses the full share name to access the drive, however if the drive is always mapped to 'L' perhaps you could make a post run batch job to force an access to:

L:
CD L:\backup\folder

Does the NAS fall asleep when not in use? It may be a timing problem.

Regards

Barry
Markus

Re: Network problem

Post by Markus »

Hi Barry,
thanks for your reply. I´m using a pre-job now and it works.
Regards
Markus
Markus

case-conversion when opening files?

Post by Markus »

Hi Barry,
I did some further investigation on this.

The target-network-share is mounted on an encrypted folder on the NAS. Due to the encryption the file-acces seems to be case-sensitive when I try to access a file or path directly. If I enter
dir \\srv3\backup-enc\AISbackup
I get "file not found, if I use
dir \\srv3\backup-enc\AISBackup
it works.

Is AISBackup converting path- and/or filenames to upper or lower case before using them?

Regards
Markus
Barry
Site Admin

File access on NAS

Post by Barry »

It is possible that the case may change if the drive letter but several years ago AISBackup was updated to allow different case to enable backup of Linux drives over network shares.

It may also be possible that AISBackup alternates between using the full UNC filename and mapped drive letter, can you check if that causes a problem please?

For very long filenames (larger than Windows officially supports) AISBackup uses the //?/ prefix, this too may cause a problem where the path + file size is > 254 characters (less likely to be the problem).

Barry
Markus

Re: File access on NAS

Post by Markus »

Hi Barry,

I changed the complete backup-target-path to lower case now and it works without having to use an extra script.

The problem is not with the files to be backed up but with the backup-destination-path. Maybe there is still a conversion to lower case somewhere?

Ragards
Markus