Error backup encrypted folder files

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
brod73

Error backup encrypted folder files

Post by brod73 »

Hello, I have created an encrypted folder into My Documents folder.
This is a normal encrypted folder (folder properties, advanced options, checkbox to encrypt).
In this encrypted folder I have a few secret files.

All the times that I do a backup, AISBACKUP give me an error for each encrypted file.
The backup is run manually, under my own user account, without task scheduler.

The sequence of errors is:
----------------------------------
0:18:30 ERR Failed to Initialise Volume Shadow Copy Service for Drive: D:\
0:18:31 ERR Failed to Initialise Volume Shadow Copy Service for Drive: D:\
0:18:31 ERR Failed to initialise Volume Copy Shadow Service on drive
0:18:31 ERRNS Could not backup: D:\Users\Bernardo\Documents\Private\file1.txt Opened Exclusive File Support Failed
0:18:31 ERRNS Could not backup: D:\Users\Bernardo\Documents\Private\file2.txt Opened Exclusive File Support Failed
0:18:31 ERRNS Could not backup: D:\Users\Bernardo\Documents\Private\file3.txt Opened Exclusive File Support Failed

Then, I had read that I must enable the VSS on that drive D. :shock:
I always have had VSS disabled on all my hard disks of my Windows 7 64 bits machine, because time ago, I get a lot of problems if it was enabled (ntfs eventlog errors, ...). :cry:
But I have tried again now. :? I have enabled VSS on drive C and D, and I have tried again the backup.
Now I get errors too, but now are different errors:
2:47:14 INF Initialised Volume Shadow Copy Service for Drive: D:\
2:47:14 ERR Failed to backup encrypted file: \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy5\Users\Bernardo\Documents\Private\file1.txt
2:47:14 ERR Failed to backup encrypted file: \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy5\Users\Bernardo\Documents\Private\file2.txt
2:47:14 ERR Failed to backup encrypted file: \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy5\Users\Bernardo\Documents\Private\file3.txt

Then, I get additional eventlog Ntfs errors (that errors don't matter with AISBACKUP, because I had Ntfs errors before installing AISBACKUP when enable on hard disks).
Ok, I disable the VSS on my harddisks, I do a few chkdsk's and all return to normallity, but I can't backup my encrypted files.

How can I backup my encrypted files?
It is the AISFAM the solution for my problem? or I would get the same errors as VSS enabled? :roll:

Thanks.
Barry
Site Admin

Encrypted files on 64-bit systems

Post by Barry »

I can confirm that this is a problem in AISBackup and has now been fixed here. I will send you a download link later today for you to test and confirm that the backup of encrypted files is working.

The problem only affected the backup of Windows encrypted files on 64-bit systems.

Barry
brod73

Allright

Post by brod73 »

I have received the patch and tested backup and restore on encrypted folder files. It works perfect. Thanks.

I love AISBACKUP product!! :D