Can't Get AISBackup to Write to CD-RW

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
RichardScott01

Can't Get AISBackup to Write to CD-RW

Post by RichardScott01 »

I got tired of trying to do backups with the feature-free Windows XP Pro utility and found AISBackup on Tucows.com. So I have downloaded and am trying it out, but I can't get it to backup to CD-RW. I formatted a fresh CD-RW for packet writing using FileCD 2.0 from New Tech Infosystems, Inc., but AISBackup is complaining 'Not enough room on loaded CD or CD not ready'. XP can see the file system on the CD perfectly well, and I was able to copy a file to the CD using FileCD. Suggestions? So far AISBackup looks like a keeper if I can get it to work. I'd rather not stage backups on the hard disk if I can avoid it.

Richard
dovro

Post by dovro »

I fully agree that program is a keeper.
I also have some problems, that needs to be solved.
Dolf Vroom
Barry
Site Admin

Backing up to CD

Post by Barry »

AISBackup can back up to any device that looks like a disk. Some packet writing systems enable CD’s to be written to as if it was a “large floppy diskette” whereas some packet systems’ can only write to a CD using their own interface, unfortunately NTI FileCD is in this second category and cannot be used with AISBackup.

We are aware that this is a limitation to AISBackup and as an interim solution we introduced a facility to copy disk based backups to CD using our optional CD Writer.

We are in the process of integrating the CD Writer into AISBackup and, and in case this does not work on all systems, we are going to enable backing up using your own CD Writer mastering software (From NTI this would be NTI CD-Maker for Windows).

The beta release of the next version of AISBackup will be available soon.

The AISBackup CD choice will therefore be:
  • 1/ A compatible Packet Writing System.

2/ A CD using AISBackup own CD Mastering software.

3/ A CD using your own CD Mastering software (this will also work with Microsoft’s built in CD Writer).
Barry
dolph

Re: Backing up to CD

Post by dolph »

Barry wrote: We are aware that this is a limitation to AISBackup and as an interim solution we introduced a facility to copy disk based backups to CD using our optional CD Writer.

"The beta release of the next version of AISBackup will be available soon.

The AISBackup CD choice will therefore be:
  • 1/ A compatible Packet Writing System.

2/ A CD using AISBackup own CD Mastering software.

3/ A CD using your own CD Mastering software (this will also work with Microsoft’s built in CD Writer).
Barry
I have version 1.6.2.154. Does this have the facility mentioned above? If not, how do I back up the emergency script to a CD ?
Barry
Site Admin

Emergency System Backup to CD

Post by Barry »

Hello

Owing to the many different ways CD writers are made, or indeed the software interface to the CD Writers is made, it is not possible to guarantee that 100% of all CD Writers will work with AISBackup.

We realised that this would be a problem so we enabled a 'wait' option to enable users of AISBackup to create a CD using a third party CD Mastering program such as Roxio Easy CD Creator, Nero Burning ROM and many more. Most CD Writers come with CD Mastering software so we thought this would not be a bad compromise.

Unfortunately the 'Use Own CD Writer' (meaning use a third party CD Writer) is not used in the Copy Backup to CD option when the AISBackup internal CD writer has been activated. This has now been corrected (here) by putting a question in just before the copy phase.

A work around is to disable the AISBackup internal CD Writer (leave packet writing enabled) re-start AISBackup and run the Copy to CD options for your emergency system backup. Create a bootable CD using the AISBackup Enhanced Windows start-up diskette if possible.

Please let us know if this helps.

Barry
dolph

Post by dolph »

As I stated on the other forum (I'm sorry - I'm not used to this system and am learning) - how do I disable the internal CD writer? How do I find it?
Barry
Site Admin

Disabling AISBackup internal CD Writer

Post by Barry »

Hi Dolph

Go to the menu option Tools / Program Options and un-check AISBackup CD Writer Enabled.

Barry