Super delay on redating synchronized volume

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
Aquarjen

Super delay on redating synchronized volume

Post by Aquarjen »

Hello Barry,

After a sync job, AISbackup resets the time and date of al files on the destination drive. This is a very nifty feature as it allows quick synchronization of drives that are replicated by other means. AISBackup's overhead makes it too slow with drives larger than, say, 100GB and this allows me to copy all or part of the file structure by faster means and let AISBackup touch up to make the drives indistinguishable.

But it looks like AISBackup is ALWAYS touching up the WHOLE destination drive (on a wireless network, in my case) after even if only a single file is synchronized and doing so all but blocks my computer for an hour or so. During that time Excel is very unresponsive and AISBackup too, up to the extent that I have to resort to drastic measures (i.e. kill AISBackup).

For a solution I would suggest not to redate files if they are already of the correct date (checking is not the time-consuming part here), or, if that is not what's happening here, give us a 'Destination is replica' box and with that on the default=NO redate all files and when YES only process the files that are dirty.

Aquarjen.
Barry
Site Admin

Slow synchronisation jobs

Post by Barry »

When AISBackup is making a 2 way synchronisation it needs to list all files on the destination to see if there are any new files and folders, as you have seen this can take a long time over a network. However, this is done during the calculation phase and not after the synchronize.

I have a job that synchronises program source between a number of computers (the destination is selected at run time), this is pretty slow over a network during te calculation phase but not during the copy phase itself.

I will give this problem some more thought.

Barry
Aquarjen

Re: Slow synchronisation jobs

Post by Aquarjen »

Barry wrote:When AISBackup is making a 2 way synchronisation it needs to list all files on the destination to see if there are any new files and folders, as you have seen this can take a long time over a network. However, this is done during the calculation phase and not after the synchronize.

I have a job that synchronises program source between a number of computers (the destination is selected at run time), this is pretty slow over a network during te calculation phase but not during the copy phase itself.

I will give this problem some more thought.

Barry
To make my situation absolutely clear:

A. I'm using a one-way sync job to duplicate 200.000+ files.
B. The work has already been done, the files are copied, and within a reasonable time too.
C. Now the waiting period starts but it never seems to end and it slows the machine down to a grinding halt.
D. When I kill AISBackup to free up the PC, the destination is complete but some new files will have incorrect dates.

If AISBackup kept a change-list this could be done in seconds; only a insignificant amount of the 200k+ files on the destination are changed/added.