Confusing instructions

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
IanA

Confusing instructions

Post by IanA »

As a consequence of my earlier topic today...

I’ve got to say I find the whole issue of which actions will affect individual jobs and which have global consequences impossible to understand without trial and error.

Could we have explanations e.g. when importing contents files that tell us that this will impact on ALL jobs not just the job that you are importing from? *

I very rarely get this involved with AISBackup, I mostly just use it to perform standard simple backup jobs and to restore individual files and when I DO need it to do something more complex it is usually under pressure and despite many years of using AISBackup I find the explanations of processes very hard to understand.

Even if I turn on the Cue Card the importing of a contents file doesn’t give me a clue as to how damaging this action could be, there’s no option for help and there is zero information on the archive option other than ‘yes’ will archive and ‘no’ won’t – and if I decide to exit that screen without a yes or no (in order to perhaps go into help to try to understand it) from memory it simply continues – if I’m wrong about this I’m sorry but I daren’t give this a try in case it does something untoward.

I suspect I use AISBackup for less than 5% of what I could get out of it because it takes hours of trial and error to understand each option and I usually daren’t perform any task other than the simple one’s that I am familiar with for fear of unwanted consequences.

I do hope you can do something to make the many technically brilliant options more accessible.

Thanks for listening,

Ian

*ps I wouldn't be at all surprised if you tell me that importing the contents file doesn't have global consequences and that I have misunderstood that - I have so little faith in my own understanding of this complex product.
Barry
Site Admin

Post by Barry »

Hi

This post was answered here:

http://www.aiscl.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=790

Barry