AIS network admin

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
kdmoyers

AIS network admin

Post by kdmoyers »

So the Network Admin thing works pretty well! I can see and change all my backup operations in one place. Excellent stuff.

Question: The "all computers" panel lists each instance twice: once for the direct IP connection, once for the network share connection. Is this normal? harmful?

(I'll probably have more questions later when I try to implement the security keys thing.)

Excellent stuff AIS!
You must be the change you wish to see in the world
Barry
Site Admin

Computers listed twice in AISBackup administration panel

Post by Barry »

Did you add the computers using the Add Computers button [+]? This should only be necessary for WAN PCs as AISBackup Admin should be able to access the PCs using DNS. Try removing one to see if you can still access the PC.

No harm is done.

Barry
kdmoyers

Post by kdmoyers »

I phrased my last question poorly, let me try again:

QUESTION:
Are there differences between the capabilities of the two connection methods? Or are they functionally equivalent?

It seems like the "Jobs and Logs" panel works with the network share connections and the "Remote Administration" panel works with the TCP connections. It that true?

QUESTION:
Where is the data about this list machines being stored? If I spend time setting up our list of machines here on my PC, is there a way to transfer that to my assistant's PC, so that either of us can monitor the backup situation?

I realize it's not much data (just some addresses and whatnot) so if we have to enter it again on my assistant's PC, it's no big deal. Just askin'.

INFO:
Finally found a freeware FTP server that AISB ver2.8 likes: FileZilla Server. Works great! [[EDIT]] never mind - AIS fails FTP on random files to FIleZilla.
You must be the change you wish to see in the world
Barry
Site Admin

Post by Barry »

Are there differences between the capabilities of the two connection methods? Or are they functionally equivalent?
They are functionally equivalent. The shares are used to collect basic log information and enable automatic updating of remote PCs with new versions of AISBackup. The remote administration panel uses TCP/IP over which backup jobs may be scheduled, update and create AISBackup backup jois and you can upload the site license registration key to remote PCs.
Where is the data about this list machines being stored? If I spend time setting up our list of machines here on my PC, is there a way to transfer that to my assistant's PC, so that either of us can monitor the backup situation?
Data for the administration program is stored in the common application folder, on Windows 7 this is: C:\ProgramData\Aquarius IS Consultancy\AISBackupAdministration\

Barry