FTP changed from v2.3 to v2.8 ?

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
kdmoyers

FTP changed from v2.3 to v2.8 ?

Post by kdmoyers »

It appears that from v2.3 to v2.8 something changed in
the FTP feature, and I need to figure out how to make
version 2.8 with my FTP server (which is a windows 2K box).

There are no problems with v2.3, so my main backups are proceeding
to work fine with that same FTP server.

but if I attempt to upgrade to 2.8, when I test the FTP connection,
I get this error dialog box:

Failed to set-up directory: /Other
Some servers do not allow directories to be created in the root directory, try:
/pub/other
Some Servers do not allow spaces in directory and filesnames
Failed to disconnect from 192.168.10.81

And this conversation shows in the little text window:
FTP Connected.
FTPREC<-- 220 PV1 Microsoft FTP Service (Version 5.0).<EOL>
FTPSND--> USER pvault1<EOL>
FTPREC<-- 331 Password required for pvault1.<EOL>
FTPSND--> PASS <***Password Not Shown***><EOL>
FTPREC<-- 230-Welcome to the FTP services of the Dell PowerVault 725N<EOL>
FTPREC<-- 230 User pvault1 logged in.<EOL>
FTPSND--> FEAT<EOL>
FTPREC<-- 500 'FEAT': command not understood<EOL>
FTPSND--> TYPE I<EOL>
FTPREC<-- 200 Type set to I.<EOL>
FTPSND--> SYST<EOL>
FTPREC<-- 215 Windows_NT version 5.0<EOL>
FTPREC Connection established
FTPSND--> PWD<EOL>
FTPREC<-- 257 "/" is current directory.<EOL>
FTPSND--> PWD<EOL>
FTPSND--> REST 1<EOL>
FTPREC<-- 350 Restarting at 1.<EOL>
FTPSND--> REST 0<EOL>
FTPREC<-- 350 Restarting at 0.<EOL>
FTPSND--> PWD<EOL>
Windows_NT version 5.0
Disconnecting.
Disconnected.

Any subsequent attempt to test, with any options (PASV or not),
give the above error box and the text window shows just one line:
Windows_NT version 5.0

It's as if the program was mad at the FTP server and did not
want to talk any more. You must exit the program and restart
to get the text window to show the conversation with the FTP
server again.

Now the complaints about directories in the dialog box
are mysterious. The directories already exist, indeed
they are in daily use by version 2.3!

I suspect the error dialog is a red-herring, and there's
actually an FTP protocol problem. But what?

Thanks for any suggestions you can provide!
You must be the change you wish to see in the world
Barry
Site Admin

FTP Server access problems

Post by Barry »

There have been a large number of changes to the FTP interface since version 2.3 most have been to do with auto recovery of download and upload failures to ensure that the backup is corrrect.

If you set-up a new backup job (a small backup) to the same server do you get the same error?

Which ftp server are you running on server 2000, is the standard FTP that comes with 2000? Please also send me the account / folder permissions for the user account.

Version 2.8 of AISBackup is used with a large number of servers both Windows and Linux based and many NAS devices.

Is it possible for you to set-up an account on the server so that it can be tried from here. I can also set-up an account on a FTP server here for you to test.

I will e-mail you the account details if you want to proceed with the test.

Barry
kdmoyers

Post by kdmoyers »

>>If you set-up a new backup job (a small backup) to the same server do you get the same error? <<

same thing.

>>Which ftp server are you running on server 2000, is the standard FTP that comes with 2000? <<

Well, it's not 3rd party. This is a dell nas box based on win2k called a "powervault". From all appearances, it's just a win2k box with some flashy admin screens. However, it's pretty old.

>>Please also send me the account / folder permissions for the user account.<<

If I understand the question correctly, the user (pvault1) has full control (all boxes checked) to the entire subtree where the FTP happens, including the root.

I can only add that, whatever the permissions, they have not changed on the server, only the version of ASIB on the client has changed.

QUESTION:
Are you saying that v2.8 requires higher permissions for the user and 2.3 did? Perhaps I can amplify the permissions of the user in some way to fix the problem?

>>Is it possible for you to set-up an account on the server so that it can be tried from here.<<

That's an excellent idea, but because this box is behind a corporate firewall, and firewalls are notoriously tricky poking holes for FTP (because of the crazy port numbers) it might get problematic. If you give me your IP subnet, I can begin trying to set that up, but lets wait till we're more desperate -- it would be time consuming on both sides of the pond.

>>I can also set-up an account on a FTP server here for you to test. <<

Interesting you mention that: I just tried v2.8 against our more modern Win2003 IIS box, and it worked fine. So it looks like it's a problem of v2.8 versus this Ancient Dell NAS box.

Other additional info:

[_] when the program is started fresh and has not yet failed the ftp test, it's possible to click the little browse button and successfully browse the directory tree on the ftp server. However, any selected directory will fail the test. Once the test has failed once, browsing no longer works.

[_] I notice from the DebugListBox that the old powervault ftp server fails the FEAT command. Dunno of that is significant.

[_] Another option we are considering is to turn off the built-in FTP in the powervault nas box, and put on some freeware FTP server and use that instead. I have a far greater emotional attachment to AISB than to this old FTP server software! This would get complex, but sounds possible.

QUESTION:
Can you suggest a freeware FTP server you have heard good reports on?
Barry
Site Admin

Post by Barry »

If you do not run the FTP Test does the backup (and probably more important) the restore work?

I use Gene FTP http://www.g6ftpserver.com/ for testing with remote users - just sits in the background of this Windows 7 64-bit box quiet as a lamb. Gene FTP supports SSL encryption which s a lot more secure for WAN FTP (The SSL dll's must be downloaded separately for AISBackup owing to export restrictions). AISBackup uses Indy winsock TCP/IP and FTP code and this page discusses ssl:

http://www.indyproject.org/Sockets/SSL.en.aspx

AISBackup is also tested with a couple of NAS and a couple of Windows FTP, the NAS are based on Linux - but that should make no difference.

I'll set-up an account for you to test on the Genie FTP if you like (You'll see the FEAT (Features) command work then).

Gene6 FTP is not free but after trying a few FTP servers I liked it!

Barry
kdmoyers

Post by kdmoyers »

>>If you do not run the FTP Test does the backup (and probably more important) the restore work? <<

trying.... incredibly, YES

Not sure what to conclude there.

Anyway, I've lost confidence in this FTP server, and I'm going to try to replace it. I really want to get to version AISB version 2.8

Thanks for your help!!
Barry
Site Admin

FTP Problem

Post by Barry »

I think I know why:

During the test AISBackup trys to make a folder, my guess is that AISBackup does not have permission to make the folder at the current 'root' level, however as your folders pre-exist then the backup works. AISbackup has got permission to read, write, create and delete from the actual backup folder (but not its parent). Indeed: it may be that AISBackup can make files but not folders on your FTP.

Barry
kdmoyers

Post by kdmoyers »

Four more questions please Barry:

[1] I think something changed regarding the AISB command line. We seem to have pinpointed one class of problems to command lines that ask for two backups:

AISBACKUP.exe backupsetOne backupsetTwo

It appears that if two sets are given like this, the first is ignored. as if it were not there. Worked fine under version 2.3

QUESTION: is the two-backups-on-command-line feature working correctly?

[2] When viewing a backup log, there is a check box for "Hide FTP OK". It appears to act as if it is always set, even if it is not. That is, there is never any FTP ok messages, even when inspection of the resulting files indicates the FTP worked ok.

QUESTION: is the "Hide FTP OK" check box function working correctly?

[3] one of my systems is stuck in some kind of registration loop. first the splash screen says "licensed for use by Guden 20 user license" but also says "registering trial", then it makes some errors involving registration.

Or it will say "licensed for use by...", then a loooooong pause, then a "successfully registered" message, then exits.

Or it will say "registration file found ok", and start normally.

So by repeatedly restarting you can get it to eventually just start quietly. You can then do the backup by manually starting it.

The next day, the cycle repeats, with complaining about registration again.

I've tried using the admin program to send the key (which worked on other computers), and that must have worked to some extent because the splash screen says "licensed for use by Guden 20 user license."

It never does the backups via schedule, I assume because of these registration issues. Backups must be hand run, after several restarts.

QUESTION: is there some reliable process to reset this cycle and get it registered?

[4] I can't figure out the FTP issues.

QUESTION: Is it possible to transform an FTP-based backup into a network-share-based backup? How?

Thanks for your help Barry!
Barry
Site Admin

Four Questions

Post by Barry »

[1] I think something changed regarding the AISB command line. We seem to have pinpointed one class of problems to command lines that ask for two backups:

A test has been run with two new backup jobs called Test1 and Test 2, this was run with the command line "C:\source\Delphi5\BACKUP\Live Backup\AISBackup.exe" Test1 Test2 and worked okay - both jobs ran.
QUESTION: is the "Hide FTP OK" check box function working correctly?
Previous versions of AISBackup displayed FTPUpload OK and FTP Download OK in the log - the log could get large and difficult to read for error messages. AISBackup does not log these messages anymore unless an FTP upload or download fails, then it displays the corresponding OK message so as not to lead the user to think the download / upload failed permanently. The button is there for those who choose full logging (and please don't choose full logging unless there is a problem) and for old backup logs where the upload and download messages were logged.
[3] one of my systems is stuck in some kind of registration loop. first the splash screen says "licensed for use by Guden 20 user license" but also says "registering trial", then it makes some errors involving registration.
It may be worth completely uninstalling and re-installing AISBackup; this may be a security permissions problem.
QUESTION: Is it possible to transform an FTP-based backup into a network-share-based backup? How?

Map the drive then use the Tools / Open Job From Backup Media option with Reinstate and No to Restore only. Choose Networked External Drive: Yes when asked even if the drive is not an external drive as AISBackup will prompt for the drive to be loaded if the network backup is unavailable for any reason.

Barry
kdmoyers

Post by kdmoyers »

...question 1... Rats, I was afraid you would say that. You can't fix what you can't see. OK, well the simple work-around is to separate it into two command lines running from a BAT file.

...question 2... Gotcha -- makes sense.

...question 3... Duh - I should have thought of that. Will try to remove/reinstall. Hope I don't lose the backups though.

...question 4... OK, sounds tricky but I'll give it a whirl.

Thanks again Barry
jannypan

Post by jannypan »

Version 2.8 of AISBackup is used with a large number of servers both Windows and Linux based and many NAS devices.
berryna

Post by berryna »

incredibly, YES