Problem with backup restore

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
Lith

Problem with backup restore

Post by Lith »

Hi guys,

Been using AIS for a very long time and finally got into a situation where I needed to restore.
I was in the middle of installing a drawing program when it crashed and after a lot of mucking around and many blue screens of death I received an error report from M/Soft that said I needed to update my bios and graphics drivers.
Updated bios ok but failed to upgrade graphics drivers and ended up with a locked computer.
Reverted back to on-board graphics and proceeded to install AIS back ups located on a second hard drive.

This is when my troubles really began.
I managed to get BartPE to boot up and started AIS and proceeded to install my backups back on to the "C"drive over writing everything.
When I started windows after the backup install XP would load up to a certain point and then crash.
I then decided to do a fresh install and then reinstall my backups over a new copy.
This has only worked to a point, I now have everything installed but most programs including programs that need the internet fail to run and come up with error messages....I guess I expected everything to run as it was prior to my troubles.

Is there something I'm missing or am I expecting too much to get back to where I was prior to the crash?
Also could my trouble now have something to do with the upgraded Bios?

I'm running Win XP with service packs.
AIS version 2.7
Backups are incremental and on second hard drive.

Would it be possible to install the backups onto a clean formatted drive rather than over XP or is this grasping at straws?

Cheers Brian.
Barry
Site Admin

Restore

Post by Barry »

With the system in the state it is in now re-try the BartPE option and restore the backup over the top of what has already been restored.

If Windows is running (just incomplete) then you could try restoring to a new disk or partition - AISBackup can set-up a dual / multi boot system for you.

Many new PC's come with restore partitions which are essentially dual boot systems with the recovery partition normally hidden - yet another option is to reinstall Windows to a small (2-3GB) partition and then restore your backup to the 'rest of the disk' using that version of Windows - AISBackup can make the partition for you, i.e. is is possible to restore to unallocated disk space.

The option which poses the least compromise to what you have now is to restore to a new disk (if funds allow). Next is to use the BartPE option.

There are restore examples on this web site, see the AISBackup / Restore Examples on the menu bar, above.

Barry