VALERR on every backup.

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
lelgaard

VALERR on every backup.

Post by lelgaard »

Every time I run my backup job I get a lot of VALERR's.
The message is as follows
12:07:19 PM VALERR Validation errors found in NewTempFolder_134.zip Files of Dirstruct:2500Validation OK:0

Every file entry in the log file starts with 12:07:19 PM VALERR Test Failed:
It is the same files that fail every time.

Does it have somthing to do with access rights.
Not all backup jobs fail. But I can't find access rights difference.
Barry
Site Admin

VALERR

Post by Barry »

The test is failing and you would not be able to restore these files - so it is good that you see this error.

What is the backup destination? Network, DVD etc.

Barry
lelgaard

Post by lelgaard »

The destination is the local disk on the server where the backup program is executed.
The data backed up is on anotehr server on the network.
Other data areas on the same data server on the same physical disk system is backed up without errors.
Barry
Site Admin

VALERR

Post by Barry »

This problem can occur with some networks which may indicate a problem with the network.

AISBackup uses the zip file structure in the backup files and the zip file structure requires that the data checksum and compressed size of the file is written before the compressed data. This requirement means that AISBackup must always keep writing 'back' in the file and this can cause problems with some networks and direct to CD/DVD interfaces.

Please try selecting this setting:

Manage Backup / Change Backup Job Settings / Create backup file then copy to media

From the AISBackup help file:

Create backup file then copy to media: This option is only displayed when the backup destination is direct to CD or DVD using a packet writing system, a network drive or removable media.

When AISBackup is backing up to a network drive, LAN Disk or NAS drive there is a constant stream of data going over the network, if multiple PC's are backing up over the network the backup time can be slow and possibly error prone; it is therefore recommenced that this option is selected when multiple PC's are backing up over a network at the same time.

Select this option if there is a problem writing directly to the backup media. AISBackup needs to read and write directly to the backup media, this may cause problems for devices such as networked DVD / CD writers or some packet writing systems that run extremely slowly when performing read and write operations.

This option causes AISBackup to backup the file to a temporary file and then copy the file to the backup media. The test phase accesses the backup media and not the temporary file.

==================================================

AISBackup deletes the failed backup files when all files within it fail with VALERR unless AISBackup is run in 'All Debug Mode' (press * until **** ALL Debug Mode **** is displayed on the caption bar), I would like you to send a small zip file that fails in this way for analysis if possile - the zp file will be deleted after analysis and the data treated as confidential.

Barry