Failed to initialise the Microsoft Task Scheduler

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
k64

Failed to initialise the Microsoft Task Scheduler

Post by k64 »

I have just installed a NAS box in RAID 1 configuration to take most of my backups from a Vista Home Premium SP2 desktop and a Win XP Pro SP3 laptop. The NAS is mapped to S: on the Vista PC and Z: on the XP PC, I am running AISBackup v2.7.0.360 on both systems.

Having discovered that it’s best to describe the NAS drive as a “1/ Local Drive” not a “4/ External Drive”, all is running fine on the Vista PC.

However, not so on the XP PC. The jobs I need are set up similar to the Vista PC, and will run manually but I cannot schedule any job from AISBackup any more.

My actions are:

Right-click the job name, select Auto Run this Backup Job
On Scheduled Backup Options window: OK
Next window is: “Failed to initialise the Microsoft Task Scheduler. Ensure that it has been installed correctly” from where OK is the only option.

Need I say that Task Scheduler is installed and working fine (an old AISBackup job is still shown in the list of tasks, is active and is run OK by Task Scheduler)

I have Restarted the PC, but the problem persists. Haven’t tried anything more drastic before this post.
Many regards

Keith
Barry
Site Admin

Post by Barry »

The problem may be with the registration of the MS Task Scheduler. AISBackup interfaces with the task scheduler using the standard com interface.

One option is to use the Tools / Auto running AISBackup option to generate the command line parameters and then manually create the schedule, and it may be possible to copy the existing AISBackup schedule update the copy to contain the parameters for the new job.

I have used a utility called Dial-a-Fix to repair problems in Windows XP. This is a fairly old utility and does not work on Windows Vista and does not recognise Internet Explorer version 8 (a number of errors are shown but no damage is done).

http://wiki.lunarsoft.net/wiki/Dial-a-fix

There is a section labelled Registration center, check each option and click Go. This may fix the problem with MS Task Scheduler interface with AISBackup but I cannot be sure.

Barry
k64

Post by k64 »

Thank you. I tried Dial-a-fix but it made no difference (I am using IE8)

I'm fairly confident this isn't an AISBackup problem, rather a problem I encounter when using AISBackup, perhaps because I had to do a Repair Install of WinXP last week and I first noticed the problem afterwards.

I'll search Microsoft's KB for problems with the task scheduler using the standard com interface.
Many regards

Keith