Problem backing up Windows 7 partition

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
Peter John

Problem backing up Windows 7 partition

Post by Peter John »

I’ve used AISBU to back up a variety of XP installs on my PC and on my EEEPC.
All these have been problem free.

I have now installed Windows 7 RC to make my PC dual boot with XP. I successfully installed AISBU on the Windows 7 partition but on running it to backup the Win 7 partition it completed with errors, as it was unable to back up over 100 files.

Advice please.
Peter
Barry
Site Admin

Windows 7

Post by Barry »

There are a few things that may cause this problem:

AISBackup must run as an administrator on Windows Vista, 7 and Windows Server 2008 to backup operating system files.

If you are running 64bit Windows 7 you must use AISFAM to backup opened exclusive files (32-bit Windows 7 works without).

Please e-mail the job files via the help / bug report option if these options do not help.

Barry
Peter John

Post by Peter John »

Thanks Barry for your prompt reply.
I am running the32 bit version and as I am the only user I must be Administrator mustn't I.
I not at home as present but will do as you ask when I get home in a few days.
Peter
Peter
Peter John

Post by Peter John »

Did a completely new full backup and again errors occurred, 114 files could not be backed up.
Have emailed the report as requested.
Peter
Peter
Barry
Site Admin

Windows 7 access denied

Post by Barry »

I have checked your backup job and it looks okay. I have tried several backups and restores of Windows 7 and they all work okay. Access denied is usually only shown when the program is not run from an administrator account.

Did you run the installation of Windows 7 from Windows Vista or XP and then choose a new drive - whichever way you installed Windows 7 please let me know and I will do the same.

AISBackup works here with Windows 7 beta 1, release candidate and the final Windows 7 Enterprise code.

I will be uploading some PDF help files for backup and restore of Windows in the next few days; these use Windows 7 in the examples.

Barry
Peter John

Post by Peter John »

Hi Barry
I did try an incremental backup after ensuring that the hidden & system files were showing but again it completed with errors. Have sent you the log automatically after figuring out how the Live Mail works !!

This is how I installed Win7:-
1. Made the DVD from the MS download.
2. Created a new partition on my second drive-it came out as letter I.
My 1st drive has a multiboot XP system installed
3. Formatted the I drive as NTFS.
4. Put the disc in my DVD drive & followed the instructions. I can't remember if I rebooted the system before the install or whether I went straight to the install.

Hope this helps

Peter
Peter
Peter John

Post by Peter John »

Following an email from Barry the problem is solved.

To quote Barry-- "Are you right clicking the AISBackup shortcut and choosing 'Run as administrator'?"

I wasn't, as that step is not necessary with XP. Doing the right click etc it worked pefectly.

Thanks Barry.
Peter