One backup spread over two hard drives?

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
irwinc

One backup spread over two hard drives?

Post by irwinc »

I have a large C-drive that I wish to backup to two of my other drives (it will not fit on just one of them).
I thought this was possible but having filled the first disc, AIS Backup aborted without warning leaving numerous files not backed up yet.
Am I attempting the impossible? Can I carry on and spill over onto my second backup drive by changing the backup destination somehow? (I tried that and it said "Never backed up" and started again to try and backup all the files on the C Drive once again.)
I was using v.2.62 now just upgraded to 2.7. windows XP Home SP3.
Thanks -
Chris
Barry
Site Admin

Backup spanning multiple drives

Post by Barry »

AISBackup was not designed to work with multiple destination disk drives however a work-around is possible to enable a backup to span more than 1 external drive:

The external drives must be given the same volume name, e.g.[ BACKUP001]

The backup type must be to external drive and the only one external drive can be chosen. It is also a requirement the Open backup contents from media is NOT selected – the backup contents must be stored on the PC as the backup is split.

When the first disk is full AISBackup will test the backup and fail – disk full. Remove this disk from the PC and replace it with the other disk with the same name. Restart the backup and the remaining files will be backed up to disk 2.

For restore processes it is okay to connect both drives together.

A test is been run now to backup a Windows XP Pro PC, once the backup completes a restore will be made to a new partition to see if there are any problems restoring from the 2 backup destinations.

Barry
irwinc

Post by irwinc »

Thank you, but this won't work for me as my two drives are SATA external drives that I can't hot swap at the moment.
I will modify what I was trying to do - but thanks for the reply.
Chris