Destination Option 3, revisited

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
Margaret Blauvelt

Destination Option 3, revisited

Post by Margaret Blauvelt »

Hello again, Barry!

Goal: Backup to “a CD using a third-party CD Mastering Program” (Option 3 under “Script Setup: Choose the destination of the backup”). Has anyone else tried this?

I wrote about this before, but I’m starting a new thread because I it’s been awhile and I wandered into a couple of other issues. Now I think I’ve simplified the definition of my main problem. (I took screen pictures this time to help me remember the details. I’m sure I can replicate the problem without all the unnecessary steps, if you’d like.)

Before I get into the details, just let me say that I still think AISBackup is extremely well conceived. Good design is pleasing, just as good art or music is. What are a few bugs? They’ll be worked out soon, I’m sure. I’m just trying to help you get them out sooner instead of later, because I really like this product. (And if I’m acting like an ignorant end user, I figure I’ll help you prepare for all the other ignorant end users that will come along.) 8)

My System:

AISBackup Version: 1.6.3.156
CD Writer: External HP-CD-RW 8230e
Windows XP
(HP RecordNow, probably irrelevant to the problem)

Problems:

1. When I run the script, I get the screen titled “Load Backup Media.” Why should AISBackup want me to load the backup media at this point, before it has even copied the files to the staging area? Especially when AISBackup isn’t going to be doing the actual copying anyway?

2. On this screen, it tells me: “Information: The selected device cannot be written to.” I try loading a brand new CD-R. Then AISBackup tells me, “The CD cannot be written using drive I:”. This is the correct drive letter. I click OK and am returned to the “Load Backup Media Screen.” I abort, then try loading and running the script again. This time I fake it out by clicking “Use this capacity” on the “Load Backup Media” screen, and it runs, to my surprise, backing up my files to the staging area on my hard drive (making me again ask Question No. 1, above).

3. I happily copy my 650 Mb of data to my CD using HP RecordNow (although I am puzzled as to why one of the zip files – myfile_40.zip – is only in the folder g:\Backup\myfile and all the other zip files are in g:\Backup\myfile\myfile01). Being an inexperienced end user, I incorrectly label my volume “myfile” instead of “myfile01,” and AISBackup lets me know. So I fix it and clicked “Re-try.” AISBackup is satisfied with my copied CD. AISBackup then gives me the same “Load Backup Media” screen I had trouble with before, but this time I fail to fake it out by switching CD’s or clicking “Use this capacity.” (I even try changing the capacity and then changing it back, to no avail.) Finally I click “Abort.” (At this point I have successfully backed up one CD’s-worth of files.)

4. I load the backup again and select “run.” I preview the files first. I click OK. Again, AISBackup shows me the "Load Backup Media” screen, which again tells me, “The selected device cannot be written to.” I fake it out successfully by clicking “Use this capacity.” It runs.

But then I mistakenly think it is backing up files it already backed up. My screen shots prove me wrong. It did indeed take up where it had left off. This, at least, is very good.

The big questions are, why does AISBackup insist my CD-RW drive cannot be written to – or even care, then change its mind inconsistently after I click “Use this Capacity,” and then have no problem at all using the drive to verify the CD-RW after I have copied it, only to go on with the backup by presenting me with the same initial problem before it will back up another CD’s worth?
Margaret
Barry
Site Admin

Getting the third party CD Writer interface to work

Post by Barry »

Hi Margaret

The main problem here is that AISBackup does not recognise your CD writer as a writer. I find this strange as you used to use the AISBackup integrated CD writer to do your backups.

Nevertheless, using the Use this Capacity option should instruct AISBackup to proceed using the indicated CD size, except is doesn’t because according to AISBackup the drive is not a writer. The Use this Capacity works on the first CD but not subsequent CDs, this we should change.

The best way to get your set-up working is to disable the Internal AISBackup CD Writer in Tools / Options. You should re-start AISBackup after changing this setting because the CD Writer may have already been initialised.

Disabling the internal CD Writer will cause AISBackup to ask you to select or enter the remaining space on each CD. You do not have to physically load the CD at the time of asking.

The reason for requesting a CD before the actual backup starts is so that AISBackup knows how much to backup for the first CD, this may vary depending on whether you are re-using the last CD, here you manually supply the remaining space on the CD.

You noticed a stray backup.zip file when you came to create the CD, this is because the CD would have overflowed if the file was included, This backup.zip file will be placed on the next CD. AISBackup has to guess how much free space there is remaining on the CD after creating each zip file, this is because we do not know the size of the zip file until after it has been created.

We have uploaded a beta version of AISBackup which includes an updated CD writer, this may work with your set-up, although we cannot guarantee this.

Barry
Margaret Blauvelt

Post by Margaret Blauvelt »

Barry,

Disabling the Internal AISBackup CD Writer (in Tools / Options) worked. I'll try the latest beta when I have some more time.

Thanks!
Margaret