Hardware Error Message

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
jimlogan

Hardware Error Message

Post by jimlogan »

After upgrading to Version 2.7.0.345 I attempted a backup on my daughters computer.
When doing a Cdrive/Mydocuments backup to CD or DVD using the inbuilt writer the backup proceeded to the stage of writing the first DVD and then reported " Failed backup - hardware error 29188".
I then aborted and attempted another backup to CDrive / Backups which worked O.K. I then attempted transferring the backup on the Cdrive to CD or DVD using the AISBACKUP menu command which did complete but reported failure in backup. When inspecting the burnt disk it appeared all the files were there!
HELP!!
DVD writer is Gigabyte Dual GO-1616B. System is Windows XP S2 Home.

Thank you
Barry
Site Admin

CD/DVD Error

Post by Barry »

I did a Google search on hardware error 29188 and the indication is that the disc drive found an error with the disc after burning.

There have been no changes in the way AISBackup makes DVD's and CD's for a couple of years.

Barry
jimlogan

Post by jimlogan »

Thanks for replying Barry. I have now tried about 10 dvd's all of which have failed. They were from two different batches so I guess I can presume that the DVD writer is at fault here. Any suggestions? Perhaps reducing the write speed?
Thanks.
Barry
Site Admin

Post by Barry »

Have you got another application on the PC that makes DVDs, if so does that work okay?

There may be an incompatibility with AISBackup; in case that is the problem we left the old 'burner' interface in AISBackup. To use this interface use the menu option:

Tools / Program Settings and Options / Troubleshoot CD/DVD writer faults / (Yes/No as appropriate) / Uncheck Use Updated Disc Burner

It may also be worth checking the internet for Firmware updates for the DVD writer.

Barry
jimlogan

Post by jimlogan »

Thanks again Barry. I tried reducing the write speed to 4X and it seems to have worked. Firmware has been updated. Will also try your suggestion about the AIS burner ( old ).
Cheers
Barry
Site Admin

DVD

Post by Barry »

I have another thought (I can only manage one thought a day)

IF the DVD writer is an IDE device make sure that it is not running in PIO mode as this will cause problems at full speed:

Click Start / Right click My Computer / Manage / Device Manager / Expand the IDE ATA/ATPI controllers and double click the Primary IDE Channel and Secondary IDE Channel and for each the Advanced Settings tab. If any of these state Current transfer Mode as PIO then try making them DMA.

If Windows set PIO mode owing to errors in the IDE channel then you cannot set DMA mode using the graphical interface, instead you have to make a registry edit to force Windows to set-up the IDE channels again. This is done by removing a couple of registry values.

The procedure is documented here:

http://www.aiscl.co.uk/how_to_forcedma.php

Barry
jimlogan

Post by jimlogan »

Thanks again Barry. Have checked DMA settings as suggested. All seems well. I also discovered when looking inside the computer that both the hard disk and the DVD writer were connected to the same IDE. I have now separated them and used both IDE connections. I seem to remember reading somewhere that if possible the two devices should not be connected as master/slave. Anyhow every little thing might account for the problem. As i said before I can at least do a backup now even if it's a little slow in writing to the DVD.
Cheers