rustynissan

AISBackup hangs after first few files are backed up

Post by rustynissan »

Here is my system info:
AISBackup version: 2.7.0.341
Windows Vista Business x64 SP1
Backup to: External drive: [\\ipAddress\M\]
Backup Destination: [XD]:\Backups\ComputerNam\ComputerName.zip

AISBackup is creating the backup in the correct location, it just gets to a certain point and the whole computer freezes. I can move the mouse, but that does me no good when everything else is frozen. Ctrl+Alt+Del has no effect. I tried uninstalling several programs, updating my computer BIOS, and pulling out my hair. None of these worked. What am I missing?
Barry
Site Admin

XP x-64 hang

Post by Barry »

Does AISBackup always freeze in the same place? Look at the Backup reports to see if this is the case.

If you have room can you make the backup to a local drive instead of the external drive; does the PC still hang?

There may be a disk corruption on your PC, please try running CHKDSK or right click the drive you are backing up from Windows Explorer and choose Properties / Tools tab / Check now.

If the backup works to a local drive try checking the setting Manage Backup / Change Backup Job settings / Create backup file then copy to media.

Barry
rustynissan

Post by rustynissan »

This is a new computer I recently built. I did run chkdsk on it, however, and everything seemed to be fine. I will try the other two options there and give you an update later today. Now that I think of it, it has frozen on two other occasions when AISBackup was not running. I checked the Event Viewer and it usually says something about a registry file still being in use as well as some http:// errors.
rustynissan

Post by rustynissan »

So I did get it to successfully backup by directly connecting the backup drive to the computer via USB. It says that it has 38 errors and that the backup may not be safe, however. Should I be concerned?
Barry
Site Admin

Errors in backup

Post by Barry »

There should be no errors in a backup, however this can happen if, for example, the files were opened exclusively and Microsoft's Volume Copy Shadow service is not working.

Some anti virus software will prevent a file from been backed up if it contains a virus.

Barry
rustynissan

Post by rustynissan »

I am having issues now with 3 computers. Two of them are running Windows Vista Business x64 and the other one is running Windows XP Pro.

The machine running XP Pro gets the following errors:
1:17:45 ERR Failed to Initialise Volume Shadow Copy Service for Drive: C:\
1:17:45 EXCEPTION Exception: EOleSysError: VSS_E_UNEXPECTED_PROVIDER_ERROR
1:17:45 EXCEPTION Component: fAquariusBackup
1:17:45 ERR Failed to Initialise Volume Shadow Copy Service for Drive: C:\
1:17:45 EXCEPTION Exception: EOleSysError: VSS_E_UNEXPECTED_PROVIDER_ERROR
1:17:45 EXCEPTION Component: fAquariusBackup
1:17:45 ERR Failed to initialise Volume Copy Shadow Service on drive C:\
1:22:52 RESERR 19 Files could not be backed up
1:22:53 RESINF 2712 Files were backed up and tested successfully

One of the Vista systems:
1:01:08 AM ERR Failed to Initialise Volume Shadow Copy Service for Drive: C:\
1:01:08 AM EXCEPTION Exception: EOleSysError: 1008: An attempt was made to reference a token that does not exist.
1:01:08 AM EXCEPTION Component: fAquariusBackup
1:01:08 AM ERR Failed to Initialise Volume Shadow Copy Service for Drive: C:\
1:01:08 AM EXCEPTION Exception: EOleSysError: 1008: An attempt was made to reference a token that does not exist.
1:01:08 AM EXCEPTION Component: fAquariusBackup
1:01:08 AM ERR Failed to initialise Volume Copy Shadow Service on drive C:\
1:01:08 AM INF 63 hard links updated
1:08:46 AM RESERR 80 Files could not be backed up

The above two computers are running ver2.7.0.334

The other Vista system used to get a number of ERROR 6 messages. and is running ver2.7.0.341. I saw that 342 is supposed to fix that on another thread. For some reason, it does not get these errors anymore (only says that X number of files couldn't be backed up), but I did notice that this machine does not display "VSS enabled" in the bottom of the AISBackup container like all the others.
Barry
Site Admin

x64 and VSS

Post by Barry »

There is a problem with VSS and AISBackup on XP-64 and a fix for this is been tested. This fix in AISBackup will not fix errors in Microsoft's product VSS - for that you need help from Microsoft.

Microsoft's VSS in 64 bit Vista and systems' after Vista only support 64 bit applications; AISBackup is a 32 bit application. In order to backup opened exclusive files in 64 bit Vista you must download and install AISFAM (AISFAM is available for a 15 day trial).

If you would like to check your 64 bit XP system now you may download this pre-release version of build 342 (please note the version at this link will be replaced in a day or two).

http://www.aiscl.co.uk/dl.php?d=342

Barry
rustynissan

Post by rustynissan »

The XP Pro machine is 32-bit. Does that mean it is a Microsoft problem? Thank you for the speedy replies, by the way!
rustynissan

Post by rustynissan »

I just tried using AISFAM on the Vista x64 machine running build 341, and it still had 44 files that could not be backed up. The only notable difference is that it deleted 16 files.
Barry
Site Admin

Delete files???

Post by Barry »

Did you re-boot after installing AISFAM?

Deleted 16 files: Are you sure the message wasn't there were 16 files deleted prior to backup? This means between AISBackup finding the file and backing up the file Windows (or some other process) deleted the file so AISBackup could not back it up.

Barry
Barry
Site Admin

VSS woes

Post by Barry »

Actually AISFAM works on XP too, however as there is a charge for AISFAM we will try and get VSS working :)

Look at my reply to this post about a possible repair of VSS on XP (32 bit only):

http://www.aiscl.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=654

Barry
rustynissan

Post by rustynissan »

I do not think that I rebooted after installing AISFAM. Do I have to run AISFAM each time or does it automatically start when I run AISBackup? And yes, it did say the files were deleted prior to the backup. Currently I am having an issue with one of the Vista x64 machines. It started freezing again when I updated the nVidia driver. :?
rustynissan

Post by rustynissan »

Thanks, the XP machine definitely works after that fix. I created a batch file from the code in your post (never done that before, kinda cool!) and it ran without errors for the first time. This one's fixed, should I start a thread in the Vista forum for the Vista x64 machines?