AISBackup won't write CD

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
timjon

AISBackup won't write CD

Post by timjon »

Hi,

AIS Backup is refusing to write CDs - when I put a new (blank) CD into the drive, it just loops back to the "insert CD" screen. The only thing I can think of that might have messed up the system settings (since this used to work fine) is that I've installed Alcohol 120% (http://www.alcohol-software.com/) but Nero still works perfectly.

I'm running a full backup (CD's are so cheap that it seems easier not to have to worry about spanning multiple sets when I ahve to restore).

Any ideas? I'm using AIS Backup v1.6.3.156, XP Home, Teac W-540E burner.

Cheers,

Tim.
Barry
Site Admin

Post by Barry »

Hi Tim

I have installed the trial version of Alcohol 120 on Windows XP with a CD Burner using Nero 5.5. I have loaded Alcohol 120 but not done anything with it. What have you used Alcohol 120 for? I ask so I can so the same or similar.

I have run AISBackup and using the integrated CD writer successfully run a backup to CD. I used a blank CDRW in the test, AISBackup correctly identified it as a ‘Blank 650MB CD-RW’.

The beta version of AISBackup includes a CD Writer Debug Mode, press * 6 times or until ******** CD Writer Debug Mode ******** appears in the Caption bar. Please run the backup and then send us the <Script>.log file, this should tell us whet the CD Writer detected. It may be worth trying the Tools / Options / Check option for the CD Writer. If your hard drive has been formatted as NTFS you will have the added advantage that the Registry will now be backed up.

Barry
Barry
Site Admin

Alcohol and AISBackup

Post by Barry »

Hi Tim

I should have known as a Guinness drinker; it takes a little time for Alcohol to take affect. There is a conflict with AISBackup and Alcohol 120. As there may be a problem with other virtual CD programs we’ll implement a fix. I’ll let you know when this is ready.

Barry
timjon

Post by timjon »

That's great - many thanks for checking this out! Very few companies would have taken the time to actually try installing something to see if it caused a clash, I'm very impressed. :)

Cheers,

Tmi.
Bald Eagle

Simaler Situation

Post by Bald Eagle »

I'm using (I believe) the latest version of AisBackup (1.63.156).

I have the situation where I can sucessfully use a blank CD-RW disk
OR erase and resuse a disk and the backup writes the disk fine.

Then take that same disk, erase it (quick OR long) and try again and the backup refuses to write properly to the disk. :( :shock:
I make sure that I have ejected & reinserted the disk several times after erasing. I have also made sure that NO other program is running that could possibly keep a channel open to the CD-RW unit.

Perhaps this will help.... I have taken one of those disks afterwards, and found 2 things.

1) The session was still there but NOT closed (probably normal thing)
2) There actually was corrupt data on the CD.

I am using this on NT4 Server, Spack 6 with a Hitachi-LG 8481b that is flashed up to version 2.03 firmware. The unit is MASTER on my second channel.

FYI: I can use those same disk(s) with NERO5, RecordNowMax, NTI 2000... etc and have no problems writing them.
I also check the CD with CDCHECK V3.0 to make sure they are not corrupt, and find no errors on them.

I am going to re-install everything and try this in WIN98 SE (multi boot system), just to eliminate any possible hardware conflicts. :wink:

Will let you know status after testing... 8)
Any suggestions / hints greatly appreciated.... :D
PLS PLS... Also enable AUTO-ERASE as others have discussed ;);)
MANY Thanks in advance :):)
Bald Eagle

WIN98 SE Testing Results

Post by Bald Eagle »

WELL ... After fully testing in WIN98SE, I found that I was able to make any backups I wanted, and erase / re-use cd's with NO problems.

Apparently something in NT4 is causing the prob's :x

Can you PLS provide me with a list of required DLL / OCX versions that this software uses such as comctrl, comdlg, etc ( if any )?

I may have also found a 'bug' in the software, but I will discuss that in the appropriate forum. :roll:

Regards, from the EAGLE's NEST ! 8)
Barry
Site Admin

NT4 Special Requirements

Post by Barry »

Hi

We are working on Tim's problem. There are still a couple of issues although the latest beta version will at least work.

AISBackup does not work on the 'out of the box' version of NT4. We use a version with SP6 for testing. The problem you may be having erase may be the speed? try reducing the write speed.

The ASPI layer may also make a difference, try putting a copy of AHead's WNASPI32.DLL into the AISbackup program folder, but only if the speed adjustment does not work.

Good news for you is:

Okay, we have updated the beta version of AISBackup to erase CD-RW prior to an automated backup, but only if you select the Erase Destination option. (I'll post another message when this has been uploaded)

We are still not happy with erasing any old CD so we only allow erasing CD’s that have belonged to the script, i.e. old backups from the running script.

The safest solution is to pre-erase CD’s and do not enable auto-erase.

If you have two CD Writers in your PC AISBackup will erase and re-use both CDs.

Here is a log from an automated backup which erases CD's:

Code: Select all

AISBackup Finished&#58; 17/02/2003 19&#58;13&#58;34

Script&#58; aaa

Erase CD&#58; Cannot Erase &#91;WIN98_01&#93; CD does not belong to this backup.

Erased CD&#58; &#91;aaa_01&#93;

Scheduled Backup&#58; Completed successfully

2140 File&#40;s&#41; were backed up and tested successfully
Barry
timjon

Post by timjon »

I've installed the beta and it all seems to be working fine now. :) It didn't ask me what speed to burn at (perhaps because I already had a blank CD in the drive when I started the backup?) so it's currently backing up at 4x instead of 32x, but that's a minor point - it's burning, which is the main thing!

Many thanks for taking the time to work around this issue.

Cheers,

Tim.
Barry
Site Admin

Write Speed

Post by Barry »

Somebody else pointed out that the last selected write speed was not been assigned to the drive when the CD is pre-loaded before a backup. This will be fixed in the next beta.

Barry
Barry
Site Admin

AISBackup

Post by Barry »

Hi All

The latest beta version fixes the problems discussed in this post, details on the beta download page:

http://www.aiscl.co.uk/aisbackup_beta.htm

Barry
Bald Eagle

Barry RE NT4 Requirements

Post by Bald Eagle »

Barry, thanks for the FAST response to this prob :D :)

Firstly I am on SPACK6 for NT4 and most security patches as well :)
I am using only generic CD-RW disks, so I am limited to a 4X MAX speed.

I tried putting a copy of WNASPI32.DLL into the AIS directory...
" This file is from Adaptec not Ahead (according to my files) "

I tried version 4.60 and version 4.71
In BOTH cases AisBackup then refuses to even detect my writer !! :( :(

I have narrowed the problem down a bit closer...
AisBackup sometimes "sees" an erased CD-RW disk as BLANK but does not know the SIZE of free space. I see this is something mentioned in the read-me about the beta version so .....
I have just downloaded the Beta version to try :wink:

One question about trying the BETA version ...
Does the Beta destroy the AIS .lic file ?? :shock:
( hopefully not :) )

Barry
Site Admin

Missing Writers

Post by Barry »

Hi

Have you got a CDROM in the PC as well as the writer? Including virtual CD or DVD ROM?

If so the latest beta should fix the problem.

I cannot find a record for Bald Eagle in our customer database, so I cannot answer the .lic question. Basically, if you have purchased AISBackup then you may install the beta in its own folder, if you are runninng the trial version then you should install the beta over the top of 1.6.3.

Barry
Bald Eagle

Post by Bald Eagle »

Barry, NO .. the CD-RW unit is the only one,
(MASTER on second IDE channel)
and no virtual units either.

As 4 user records... this email & name is for discussions.

Purchases are under totally different accounts. :wink:

I just got ahold of wnaspi32.dll that actually says it is from AHEAD
and is version 2.0.1.59 size is 160,016 bytes

I will try that before going to the beta...

Thanks again :)

Bald Eagle

Post by Bald Eagle »

Seems like the wnaspi32.dll file from ahead has solved the problem !! :D :D

I will keep trying for a while longer, but I have just succeeded in QUICK erasing & re-using 3 CD-RW disks in a row.

I may still try the 'beta' version, as having the auto-erase feature would be GREAT :wink: :lol:

Once again, many thanks for your PROMPT responses.
Most software companies should take a lesson from your support !

I will also be adding a description and link to your company/software on my company web site!

Great job so far, keep going !!

REGARDS FROM THE EAGLE'S NEST 8)