AISBackup on Server 2008

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
lmeyer

AISBackup on Server 2008

Post by lmeyer »

Until now I was very satisfied with AISBackup, but with the new Win 2008 Server I run into a lot of problems.
AISBackup Build 334; Windows Server 2008 x64

I have three problems:

1. I installed AISFAM.
It gave me a blue screen several times => I unistalled it
Is there a configuration option that should make AISFAM work?

2. I backup to a network share \\mypc\y.
If I configure Backup Destination to \\mypc\y\server\server.zip I get the error:
Failed to connect destination folder : \\mypc\y 1222: The network is not present or not started

If I map \\mypc\y to Y: on the server, and set Backup Destination to Y:\server\server.zip, the backup runs, but the problem is that AISBackup resets the Backup Destination automatically to \\mypc\y\server\server.zip after a successful backup.

How to either get AISBAckup to connect to a UNC-path or to keep the Backup Destination. Either solution would do it.

3. VSS does not work
In the application log I get the two errors:
Source: VSS
Event ID: 8193
Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine CoCreateInstance. hr = 0x80040154.
and
Source: VSS
Event ID: 32
Volume Shadow Copy Service error: The VSS Coordinator class is not registered. This may be caused due to a setup failure or as a result of an application's installer or uninstaller.

After googling this seens to be linked to the fact that AISBackup is 32-bits.
What is strange is that I did not get this error prior to installing and uninstalling AISFAM. Also now it have 72 open files, while before using AISFAM there were only 4. Registry seemed to backup before.

What to do to get VSS work again?

I would need at lest a solution for problem 2 and either 1 or 3 to be able to use AISBackup.
With best regards Lorenz Meyer
Barry
Site Admin

AISFAM and Network shares Server 2008 64bit

Post by Barry »

I used AISFAM on Server 2008 64bit without problem but I will re-test ASAP, please download the latest version of AISFAM just in case there is a problem with the version you have.

http://www.aiscl.co.uk/aisfam.php

VSS will not work with AISBackup on 64 bit systems’. You must uninstall AISFAM to reinstate VSS, however in the next upload of AISBackup a command line switch may be used to disable AISFAM (this command line option is required for us to run either with VSS or AISFAM when testing)

Please let ne know exactly how the network shares and permissions are set-up so that I can duplicate the problem here; please also let me know what the remote operating system is. I think this may be an access rights problem. Indeed I remember there is a problem with Windows 7 in this respect, this was fixed in the latest pre-release version of AISBackup, please try the pre-release version and let me know if it works with your remote share.

http://www.aiscl.co.uk/aisbackupbeta.php

Barry
lmeyer

Post by lmeyer »

Thanks for your answer.
Unfortunately the issues are not resolved.

I installed AISBackup build 337 to test.
Still the same: Destination: Y:\win2008\win2008.zip => Backup works, but changes the destination to \\pc-lm\y\win2008\win2008.zip => Next backup will fail with error 1222.

\\pc-lm\y is located on a Win XP SP3 Pro. Shared as y with full control to everybody on the share level. Full control to pc-lm\administrators on the NTFS permission level.
AISBackup is run as domain administrator (domain\administrator), which is member of the group pc-lm\administrators.

On the server I enabled 'Network discovery' and 'File sharing'.

As of AISFAM, I used the last release. Nevertheless, I will try to install it again.
lmeyer

Post by lmeyer »

AISFAM Version: About box says 4.1.7. Download detail on website says 4.0.7
Barry
Site Admin

Share access from 2008

Post by Barry »

Is \\pc-lm\y a share to the root of a disk or a folder on XP Pro SP3?

The AISFAM version number is wrong on the web-site, I'll get it changed.

Barry
Barry
Site Admin

Another question

Post by Barry »

Must you suppy a username and password when mapping \\mypc\y\?

If you do need a password try disconnecting \\mypc\y and then AISBackup Manage Backup / Change Backup Destination, then map the drive using AISBackup (Click Network) and supply the username and password.

Are you running AISBackup interactively or via a schedule?

Barry
lmeyer

Errors consitently persisting...

Post by lmeyer »

To answer the questions:
\\pc-lm\y is the root of a disk

I tried to map the network in Manage Backup / Change Backup Destination, but it is impossible. I always get the error
1222: The network is not present or not started.

The problem remains the same if I run AISBackup interactively, with a batch or via a schedule, ony the error reported differs:
First run with the drive letter: works either way.
All the following runs:
interactively and batch: 1222: The network is not present or not started.
batch file run from schedule: 1223: The operation was canceled by the user.

I also tried with other shared folders hosted on a 2003 server: The problem remnains the same.
I also observed, that AISBackup can get the folderlist from the remote location, but it fails to connect just afterwards

=> My conclusion is that the API used in AISBackup works only partially on Server 2008 x64. I don't know if it is a access problem or a x64 compatibility issue.

I think I have to abandone a backup with AISBackup of this server, although I did not yet find a replacement. Unless you find something concluding in your tests.

Thank you anyway for your help. With best regards
Lorenz Meyer
Barry
Site Admin

x64 srever 2008

Post by Barry »

I ran some tests on the weekend, but I still need to verify some of my findings, but here is an interim report:

AISFAM is installed and works without problem, Server 2008 was still in a workgroup when I installed AISFAM.

While the Server was in a workgroup, all backup jobs to a remote share worked without problem. I want to re-test this scenario to ensure AISBackup worked without problem with Server 2008 in a workgroup.

I promoted the server to a new domain controller and then I get the same problem as you, i.e. 1222: The network is not present or not started. I installed all the latest server patches and still got the same result.

I then re-started AISBackup (The restart is important) and set-up a new job to backup to the remote share. I mapped the share using AISBackup and this worked okay! I then ran the new job successfully and proceeded to run the previous job, again successfully (I want to run some more tests here).

AISBackup uses the standard API WNetAddConnection3 to connect network drives.

AISBackup has a hidden function Tools / Map Network Drive (Press * until debug mode is in the caption bar). If you start AISBackup and then use the Map Network Drive option to map any other drive (not the backup destination) and then come out of debug mode (press * again until the normal AISBackup caption is displayed) then run the job does this work?

I will post back when I get some more information; indeed I may have a work around, but I have not tested my idea yet.

There is no problem with the 32 bit version of Server 2008.

Barry
Barry
Site Admin

AISBackup Backup to network drive Server 2008 64bit

Post by Barry »

I have uploaded an update to AISBackup that I hope solves the network mapping problem.

Basically if WOWRedirection is disabled the first time WNetAddConnection3 is used all subsequent network mapping commands fail, however if WOWRedirection is enabled then all calls to WNetAddConnection3 work regardless of WOWRedirection state. I guess AISBackup was attempting to use the 64bit version of Winsock - but I cannot be sure about that.

A test download can be made from the link below, please let me know if the problem with the mappings is solved.

http://www.aiscl.co.uk/dl.php?b=338

Barry
lmeyer

first impression is good!

Post by lmeyer »

Hello Barry,

Thank you very much for your top support.

I begun testing build 338, and it looks good. It runs interactively, and is now running from a .cmd file. I have to test to run it as a scheduled task.

I will give you the complete results once I finished the tests
lmeyer

AISBackup works now on network shares

Post by lmeyer »

Dear Barry,
I could now successfully backup my server using a scheduled task!

I still get a bluescreen with AISFAM (In the first 10 minutes running the server. It can be triggered by exploring the network with Windows Explorer - Netwok neighborhood). I tried install/uninstall several times.
Once I got a bluescreen also without AISFAM. Now I'm no longer sure if AISFAM is the only problem.

I can live without AISFAM. I'm happy now that AISBackup works, and will finally be able to use our new server in the production environment.

Thanks again, Barry, for your support[/list]