Restore CD & Microsoft AIK

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
Peter John

Restore CD & Microsoft AIK

Post by Peter John »

I have used AISBU successfully on my multi boot PC to copy a partition image from one partition to another as discussed in another post on this forum..

Now I wish to use AISBU to back up my single boot laptop to an external drive & create a Recovery CD for restore if there is a disaster.

Finding that I needed Microsoft AIK to do this I was horrified to find that at 1375.9 MB it is two-thirds of my capped 2GB monthly allowance. So that download is not really possible for me.

Am I correct or have I missed something ?
Peter
raysaun

AIK

Post by raysaun »

It sure is that size
Peter John

Post by Peter John »

Hmm, that's a shame and a surprise, for I am sure that for some earlier backup software this wasn't the case.
With the old Powerquest Drive Image, the installation CD acted as a rescue/restore program independent of Windows although it was not possible to run a backup from it.
And with Acronis I think you can create a CD from the program without resorting to MS AIK. The CD allows both backup & restore.
So why is AISCL different ?
Peter
Peter
Barry
Site Admin

Large WAIK download

Post by Barry »

Sorry for the delay answering this question.

We could make a CD available at a small charge, but the problem is that a bootable CD may not work with all PC hardware, as some hardware requires that additional device drivers be installed, e.g. SATA disk drivers or Ethernet NIC drivers. AISBackup asks for additional device drivers be installed at the time the CD is made.

Actually, there is a load device driver on the Restore CD menu if the drivers were not set-up when the CD was created.

As an alternative you may use a Windows Vista set-up DVD if you can lay your hands on one. AISBackup does need to be copied to CD or USB flash drive so that it may be loaded after starting the Vista recovery process. Please note that you may restore Windows 2000, 2003 and XP using the Vista CD, as AISBackup will update the boot sector if required.

There restore tutorials on this web-site to help with restoring using the Vista set-up DVD.

To answer you question, I am afraid the WAIK download is rather large, for those of you with capped broadband, maybe you know somebody without capped broadband that can help you.

Another advantage of making the restore CD with AISBackup and WAIK is that as AISBackup changes you may simply make a new, up-to-date CD.

Barry
Peter John

Post by Peter John »

Hi Barry
Your reply just beat me to a further post !

A friend with an uncapped download kindly downloaded the file for me today so I was able to get the AIK DVD & so was able to create the Restore CD.

I do have SATA drives on the PC but didn't add any drivers.
Testing the CD it got up to the AIS screen successfully so I assume that my PC didn't need need the drivers. I didn't try to do anything beyond that, just restarted. Does that seem OK ?

Peter
Peter
Peter John

Post by Peter John »

Update: Have now used the restore cd to make a backup & it worked perfectly. Haven't tried to do a restore yet ---- one thing at a time !!

I do have another question but I'll post that under the Restore CD Head.
Peter