Backing up TrueCrypt volumes

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
olegg

Backing up TrueCrypt volumes

Post by olegg »

TrueCrypt volumes seem not to be backed up if the setting "Preserve timestamps of file containers" is switched on in TrueCrypt (and it is by default).
How does AISBackup determine that the file has been modified and should be backed up?
If it only relies on the file's timestamp then there could be some troubles with such files which timestamps stay not changed.
Barry
Site Admin

Backing up Truecrypt containers

Post by Barry »

AISBackup uses the date modified time stamp and file size to determine if the file has changed. AISBackup does not use the archive bit as it is possible for other programs to modify the archive bit, in any case the archive bit is not modified (set) on the Truecrypt container when it is accessed either (mounted and written to).

The only work-around is to remove the Truecrypt setting <i>Preserve timestamps of file containers</i>.

Alternatively make a backup job that always runs a full backup of the Truecrypt containers, however the backup jobs will not be multi-session. To always run a full backup you must create a shortcut using the Manage Backup / Create shortcut for this backup job. The following settings must also be selected: Clear backup contents (backup everything) and Delete Destination Deletion Option select: Delete Backup.

Please download at least version 2.7 build 334 of AISBackup, as the Delete Backup option did not work in earlier versions of AISBackup 2.7 (this fault was found when testing this reply to you).

Another option is to mount the Truecrypt containers and backup the files therein, this way only differences will be backed up between backup sessions. To keep the backup protected backup to another Truecrypt encrypted container.

Barry
olegg

Post by olegg »

If files in TrueCrypt container are backed up to the second TrueCrypt container the second container must be mounted. Therefore backup couldn't be done by schedule for example.

As the best solution for me at the moment I'll disable preserving timestamp in TrueCrypt.

Why does AISBackup not compare files by hash like some other programs do (for example SyncToy by Microsoft)?
Comparing by hash is not the fastest way of comparing but it could be switched on optionally.