DVD ejecting between write and test

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
vintagepostcards

DVD ejecting between write and test

Post by vintagepostcards »

When running a backup job, asibackup ejects the dvd right after the write is finished and before the testing phase. I get a popup window asking me to abort or retry and I have to manually closed my dvd drive and click retry. This means that I cannot run an unattended backup.

I am running asibackup version 2.6.2.327 under Windows Home Basic on a Compaq Presario laptop. ASPI is set to BinaryMagics version 1.0.0.0 . I am backing up to DVD -RW. The following are all checked under options:

Direct to CD, DVD or Compatible Devices (Packet writing system: Vista UDF)
Enable AIS Integrated Disc Writer
DVD Writer Present

When I click Troubleshoot CD/DVD Writer Faults I get the following info:

Detected CD Writer: TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-L633A HH04
MBCDPro ASPI Layer
The Integrated Disc Writer has been enabled for backups to CD or DVD.
AISBackup can also backup directly to CD or DVD using the existing integrated interface: VISTA UDF
Use updated disc burner is checked.
Barry
Site Admin

Post by Barry »

AISBackup does attempt to read the backup after the disc has been created, however it is often necessary to re-load the disc before Windows (and therefore AISBackup) can read it.

Some users have found that the previous disc writer , that is still built into AISBackup, is more successful at reading disc’s after creation, however I am pretty sure that pre-used discs would have to be re-loaded to force Windows to re-read the Table of Contents.

To switch burners uncheck: Use updated disc burner.

Barry
vintagepostcards

When I uncheck Use updated disc burner, the backup aborts at the beginning and gives me an error message that no cd/dvd writer is available.

I am doing session-based backups, and just adding onto the disk used for the previous backup.

It sure would be nice to be able to complete an unattended scheduled backup automatically. That's part of the point of a program like aisbackup, isn't it?
Barry
Site Admin

Re-load CD

Post by Barry »

The CD / DVD normally has to be reloaded after data is added owing to the table of contents been re-written to a different part of the disc.

The only way around this is to skip the test phase using the Manage Backup / Change Backup Job Settings / change Test Backup to Do Not Test , however I should periodically check the disc using the Manage Backup / Validate (Test) Backup option.

Barry
vintagepostcards

Thanks. I still had the same problem after I changed Test Backup to Do Not Test on the backup job I already had created. I had to create a new job and select writing Direct to Disc using Vista UDF, with Do Not Test backup, to get it to run unattended.
Barry
Site Admin

Eject CD

Post by Barry »

AISBackup should not have ejected the disc, this has been corrected in the latest upload (build 330)

Barry