Session Tabs

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
Brian E

Session Tabs

Post by Brian E »

Hi Barry

Could you please explain what should be shown under the session tabs (Backed Up, Changed, Added, Deleted) as they don't seem too clear to me?

For instance, I added three new photographs to a folder that is backed up by AIS Backup and then ran a backup. I expected to see just the new photos and any other new files listed under the Added tab, but they were under the Backed Up and Added tabs (both seemed to be identical lists at a casual glance, are they?), which seemed to be lists all the files and folders I have selected for backup.
Regards

Brian E
Barry
Site Admin

Session log

Post by Barry »

Backed up shows what was backed up, the other tabs indicate why the files where backed up, i.e. new files or changed files.

From AISBackup's Press F1 for help:

Sessions: This option displays the files that were physically backed up in each backup session. The option also displays the files which were deleted since the previous backup session.

This option may be used for trouble shooting problems with your PC where you may want to track down differences between two or more backup sessions

Note: If the selected backup job is of a generation or session variety where not all generations / sessions are retained, some sessions may be empty because the files have been removed from the Backup Contents File.
  • Backed Up: This option displays the files that were backed up during the selected session.

Changed: Displays a list of files that were backed up because there were changes since the previous version.

Added: This option displays a list of files that were added to the backup for the first time.

Deleted: Displays the files that were deleted between the previous session and this session. These files either do not exist on the PC any more or have not been backed up again since reinstatement.
Brian E

Re: Session log

Post by Brian E »

Barry wrote:Backed up shows what was backed up, the other tabs indicate why the files where backed up, i.e. new files or changed files.

Added: This option displays a list of files that were added to the backup for the first time.
That's why I thought that the added tab should have only displayed the three new photos I had saved to my hard drive and not all (or what appears to be all) the files in the backup.
Regards

Brian E
Brian E

Re: Session log

Post by Brian E »

Brian E wrote: That's why I thought that the added tab should have only displayed the three new photos I had saved to my hard drive and not all (or what appears to be all) the files in the backup.
Was I incorrect in my assumption?

Actually, the logs are still one of my least favourite parts of AIS Backup. It would be much better (IMHO) if a complete HTML report could be generated for each chosen session, showing on one page the files added, removed, changed, etc + details of any other activity carried out during the session, such as pruning.
Regards

Brian E
Barry
Site Admin

Sessions tab

Post by Barry »

Added should have shown new files only, files that did not exist in the previous session. So if a file is in session 1, deleted in session 2 and then in session 3 again it will show as added and not changed.

Barry
Brian E

Post by Brian E »

Hmm - seems to be a problem then. I can't do further checking at the moment as I have a multitude of things to sort out, but I could do some more testing later if necessary.
Regards

Brian E