Changed notation of same backup destination

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
Jim Schumm

Changed notation of same backup destination

Post by Jim Schumm »

I briefly tried Win 2000 backup but swiftly came back to AIS as it seems a lot more informative & flexible.

I've been backing up files to a folder on a mapped network drive for a while now. The last backup I tried failed because the destination couldn't be found (I'd been changing some network drive mappings & think the drive letters had changed).

When I re-point AIS Backup to the destination where all my backups are, [Manage Backup - Change backup destination] the program now seemingly wants to back up all files in my script rather than only the ones that have changed.

Is it not possible for AIS Backup to recognise that this is the same backup destination but just specified in a different way?

Thank you
Jim Schumm

update

Post by Jim Schumm »

An update:

I created a new folder for a backup destination. When I changed the script to point at this, I was prompted to copy existing backup to this new location - this looked promising. I said yes to this, but couldn't see anything copied into the new folder afterwards.

When I came to run the backup, all files in the script were backed up rather than only the ones that'd changed since the last time.
Barry
Site Admin

Moving backups

Post by Barry »

Hi Jim

This answer is based on version 1.6.3 of AISBackup.

If you are backing up to a network drive, or move an existing backup manually, just load the script and click Run Backup. AISBackup will display a ‘Find Backup Destination’ form, select Locate Backup and open any one of the backup ‘zip’ files.

The Move Backup destination is used to get AISBackup to move the backup, in your case you had already moved the backup (by changing the share name).

To get your original backup re-instated just delete the script (Manage Backup / Delete Script) then use the Tools / Load Script From Backup option to load the script from its new share name.

Barry
Jim Schumm

Post by Jim Schumm »

Barry,

Thanks for your reply.

When I did a simple test with a new backup script, I did get the 'Find backup destination form' as you said.

But before this some strange things were happening. I'll keep an eye out if they happen again & try & give you some good diagnostics.

Meanwhile, I've seen odds & ends which I'd like to ask:

o At one stage I received a message "If the backup is from another computer you'll probably want to install this script for Restore only". When I tried to click the question mark for help on this window, nothing happened. Is this a known problem?

o On the log tab, files which weren't selected for backup were listed on some lines starting "Backing up..." Have you ever noticed this?

o On the script tab is it possible for the Backup destination to show a folder rather than a zip file?

o How do I change my username for the forums? Doesn't seem to work in the "Profile" section & I can't see any way of de-registering to re-register with a different user name

o The Getting Started manual for download is very good. Are there more chapters available?

Many thanks,
Jim
Barry
Site Admin

Some answers

Post by Barry »

Hi Jim

There is no help on the "if the backup is...." message. In all cases pressing F1 in the keyboard displays help rather than clicking ?. We must add some help for this option.

I have not noticed files that are not selected been backed up.

The zip file name (or rather prefix) is shown just in case there are more than one backup to the same destination.

You cannot change your Username, please send us a PM with the Username you want and we'll see if we can change it.

We will update the maual as soon as the beta goes live. We realise that more needs adding. If there are any specific areas please let us know, we will try and add documentation to the web-site at least.

Barry
Jim Schumm

Post by Jim Schumm »

Hi Barry,

Thanks for your latest reply.

Just to clarify about the unselected files - they were listed in the log file only. They weren't actually backed up. So it's not so much of a problem - just something I noticed.

Will let you know of any areas where more documentation could be of use.

No need to reply to this.

Cheers,
Jim