FTP backups can't find previous one

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
Hughg

FTP backups can't find previous one

Post by Hughg »

Hi Barry

I've just set up a new ftp server to hold a couple of remote backups which have been running for several years without problems. The server is on a D-Link DNS-323 network storage device, and it seems to behave normally: I can write files to it and read from it without problems, both over the network and over ftp.

When I updated the folder name in the "Backup Job FTP Settings" dialog and clicked the "Test FTP connection" button it said that the test completed successfully, although it also said "Spaces are not allowed in file and folder names"; there aren't any. This operation also created a folder called "AISSP Test" on the ftp server, something I hadn't noticed before.

I started the backup job, and it said it couldn't find the backup files. So I renamed the destination directory to preserve the backup files, reset the backup and started all over again with a fresh destination directory on the ftp server. The backup went just fine. I made some changes to the files to be backed up, and ran the backup again. It came up with the same complaint as before, saying that it couldn't find the backup files and perhaps the previous job hadn't ended normally (as far as I could tell it had). It ran the job, adding three small zip files to the sequence. I made some more changes, it did the same thing. Even if I make no changes -- I just hit the "Run" button after the previous job has finished -- I get the same behaviour. I created a new backup job with the same source files, and got exactly the same behaviour.

The zip files all seem to be on the ftp server as they should be; it's just that every time I run a job, three more zip files get added to the list whether or not any changes have been made to the source files.

I've e-mailed you a copy of the latest log -- it looks completely normal to me.
Barry
Site Admin

FTP issues

Post by Barry »

Changes have been made to the FTP interface in the ‘next’ version of AISBackup, as there were issues with opening a FTP backup during disaster recovery; this may fix the problem you are having. I have delayed responding to this message in the hope that the next version of AISBackup would have been uploaded by now.

I’ll post back when AISBackup has been uploaded.

Barry
Hughg

Post by Hughg »

OK -- thanks, Barry.
Hughg

Post by Hughg »

Hi Barry -- I don't know whether Build 331 was supposed to have fixed this problem, but it's behaving exactly the same as the previous build with respect to this problem. Can I do any other testing for you?
Barry
Site Admin

Problem with FTP Server

Post by Barry »

Hi Hugh

It looks as though AISBackup is not getting a directory listing from your FTP server, is there a configuration parameter to enable this?

Is it possible for you to set-up and account for me and e-mail me the logon details?

Barry
Barry
Site Admin

More information

Post by Barry »

Hi Hugh

Gene G6FTP is the default FTP server used here, if I change the access rights to remove Folder Access List Files and List Folders I get the same symptoms as you when running the FTP test, i.e. ‘Spaces not allowed’. This is because AISBackup uploads the file but cannot then find it owing to the ‘List’ failure.

I hope therefore this is a setting you can adjust on your FTP server.

Cheers

Barry
Hughg

Post by Hughg »

Hi Barry

That's the one I've been using up until recently (as BulletproofFTP, but it's the same executable), with no problems. Then I went over to using a network storage unit. I first tried the Linksys NAS200, and its FTP server worked fine with AISBackup. However, the NAS200 is painfully slow, so I swapped it for a D-Link DNS-323, which is about two or three times faster (i.e. in terms of its data transfer rate with the network), and I think that's when the trouble started. The strange thing is that if I log on to its FTP server using a conventional client I can list directories, read and write files to directories, delete files and so on with no trouble. It's something to do with the way AISBackup interacts with the server that seems to be the problem. I can use a workaround, going back to an FTP server on another computer on the network and then using a syncing package to update the files on the DNS-323 from the FTP server, but that's a bit clumsy. And given the increasing popularity of these network storage units, I wondered whether it would be helpful to you if we figured out why the FTP server on the DNS-323 is interacting with AISBackup as it is and whether it can be fixed.

I'll e-mail you the login details for the DNS-323 so you can test it if you'd like to.

Cheers
Hugh