System Hang at Backing up Opened Exclusive Files

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
HMS-1

System Hang at Backing up Opened Exclusive Files

Post by HMS-1 »

HP Pavilion xt878
XP Pro SP3

System Hangs during "Preparing to Backup Opened Exclusive files on drive c:\"
Used Task Master to end process. This results in msg: Incomplete status for the backup n backup.

I have tried both of the latest version of AIS backup and get the same results. My other two computers running similar sets of software (security, and other programs) run AIS OK. Just the HP is having problems apparently following SP3 upgrade...last OK B.U. was on SP2.

Thanks for any helpful suggestions (other than buying a Mac)
Simon4tk

Post by Simon4tk »

I am getting the same problem. Backup runs fine until it tries to backup open exclusive files and then the program just hangs and has to be closed through Task manager. I have version 2.6.2.327 with OS Vista SP1.
Simon Holland
Barry
Site Admin

Post by Barry »

Extra trace information to the VSS initialisation routine to see where VSS is hanging, I expect it is one of the Wait ‘forever’ routines. If this is an issue then I will put in a 2-minute wait, however VSS will then not work and opened exclusive files will not backup.

AISBackup has been tested on Windows Vista Ultimate with success, but I was wondering if you have bit-locker active? Vista Ultimate here does not use bit-locker.

AISBackup cannot use VSS with 64 bit versions of Vista either.

I expect in either case AISFAM should be able to backup opened exclusive files.

This article explains how to re-register VSS in Widows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940184

and these instructions will check the current status:

First check the following services:

Start / Run / type services.msc /OK

Make sure that the "MS Software Shadow Copy Provider" service's Start-up type is set to Manual.

Make sure that the "Volume Shadow Copy" service's Start-up type is set to Manual.

If they are okay then:

After VSS files with VSS_E_BAD_STATE please run these commands from a command prompt and post the output in the forum:

Start a command prompt window Start / All Programs / Accessories / Command Prompt
C:\> vssadmin list writers

C:\> vssadmin list shadows

I will post back when the next version of AISBackup is uploaded.

Barry
Simon4tk

Post by Simon4tk »

Hi Barry

I didn't fully understand your response but I am running Vista Home Premium SP1. I am backing up to an external Hard Disk.

I have checked "MS Software Shadow Copy Provider" and "Volume Shadow Copy" service's Start-up type - both are set to Manual.

I have tried your suggestion and get

C:\>vssadmin list writers
vssadmin 1.1 - Volume Shadow Copy Service administrative command-line tool
(C) Copyright 2001-2005 Microsoft Corp.

Waiting for responses.
These may be delayed if a shadow copy is being prepared.

It just seems to hang then.
Simon Holland