Backiing up open files

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
Trevor

Backiing up open files

Post by Trevor »

Hi
Hi

I updated to the latest version, and it is completing with errors. The log shows the message:-

"ERR Failed to Initialise Volume Shadow Copy Service for Drive: C:\
EXCEPTION Exception: EOleSysError. VSS_E_BAD_STATE
EXCEPTION Component: fAquariusBackup
ERR Failed to Initialise Volume Shadow Copy Service for Drive: C:\
EXCEPTION Exception: EOleSysError. VSS_E_BAD_STATE
EXCEPTION Component: fAquariusBackup

11 files could not be backed up."

Is this the program, or have I accidently stopped some Windows Service that I don't know anything about?

Thanks

Trevor Cave
Barry
Site Admin

VSS

Post by Barry »

First check the following services:

Start / Run / type services.msc /OK

Make sure that the "MS Software Shadow Copy Provider" service's Start-up type is set to Manual.

Make sure that the "Volume Shadow Copy" service's Start-up type is set to Manual.

If they are okay then:

After VSS files with VSS_E_BAD_STATE please run these commands from a command prompt and post the output in the forum:

Start a command prompt window Start / All Programs / Accessories / Command Prompt

C:\> vssadmin list writers

C:\> vssadmin list shadows

I must admit the error often comes up on this PC and I have narrowed it down to having a truecrypt volume attached via USB, when I disconnect this VSS works. Trouble is I want to backup to the encrypted drive, but as long as I run another backup that requires VSS and then mount the truecrypt volume VSS works. AISFAM works all the time, but I am afraid that AISFAM is a separate (but low cost) product.

While researching my response to this post I read that Microsoft's own backup program can leave VSS in a bad state, have you got any other programs installed that use VSS?

Barry
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

Hi Barry

Both the services are set to manual.

vssadmin list writers gave the message "VSSadmin 1.0 - Volume Shadow Copy Service Administrative command-line tool. Error 0x8000ffff"

vssadmin list shadows gave a similar error message.

I don't know of any other programs which use VSS, though that doesn't mean that I haven't :oops:

Does this help?

Regards

Trevor Cave
Trevor
Barry
Site Admin

VSS Problem

Post by Barry »

I did a quick google for 0x8000ffff vssadmin, this may help

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940184

Barry
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

Hi Barry

I tried the fix you suggested. No joy I'm afraid. It is still not backing up files in use. Oddly, though, when it finishes the backup it records it on the Job List as "OK", and doesn't show the errors. They show up in the log in red type as "failed to backup".

Would it help if I emailed you the log file?

Regards

Trevor
Barry
Site Admin

Log File

Post by Barry »

Yes please.

Barry