AISBackup seems to backup registry from wrong disc?

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
johngie

AISBackup seems to backup registry from wrong disc?

Post by johngie »

Trying to solve another issue (see previous thread) I came across an "oddity". My PC has two fixed HDD's (C and F) and I back up to an external HDD. When it comes to backing up the registry files, it seems to be backing them from the F drive rather than C! At least that's what I see in the progress pane. Obviously these registry files are definitely not on the F drive, so is this a known anomaly? What I am slightly concerned about is that, if it came to the crunch, would they be restored to the correct location?

John
Barry
Site Admin

Registry backup

Post by Barry »

Files are backed up in phases:

1: Files that can be opened in alphabetical drive order
2: The Registry
3: Opened Exclusive files

AISBackup does not display the drive letter when backing up the registry, however in the lower pane you should see that the registry is been backed up from the correct drive.
What I am slightly concerned about is that, if it came to the crunch, would they be restored to the correct location
I thought you had already restored the registry from an AISBackup?

The system registry is in C:\Windows\System32\Config so you can check yourself that AISBackup has put the registry in the correct place.

Barry
johngie

Post by johngie »

I did restore a registry, but on my laptop with only one HDD (I have the "home use license"). On my desktop PC with two HDD's (C and F) I've just seen this again while backing up the registry - entries like:

Backing up: F:\Documents and Settings\Local Service\NTUSER.DAT

and many others with the F:\ prefix that don't actually exist on the F: drive.

Could it be that these files are shifted to the F: drive during the shadow copy, and that's what I'm seeing?

(I have a screenshot, if you would like me to forward to you).

Regards

John
Barry
Site Admin

Log error

Post by Barry »

This problem has been looked at and the problem found; the problem will be fixed. The files are backed up okay and the error was in displaying the wrong drive letter. If you look at the test phase of the log you will see the files are displayed with the correct drive letter, and indeed the files are correct in the backup as can be seen from the Restore from Backup option.

Barry