Registry restore

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
johngie

Registry restore

Post by johngie »

I was under the impression that a backup of the complete C drive included a registry backup (indeed it goes through the "preparing registry hive..." routine at the end of the backup.
When you select "Tools - Restore Registry" I expected to see a list of registry "versions" that could be restored. The list was blank, so how do you restore a registry that was part of a normal backup routine? (Where is it?) I need to do this rather urgently because of a corrupted registry.

Regards
Barry
Site Admin

Backup and restore registry

Post by Barry »

The backup and restore registry options are in addition to the registry backup within a regular backup job.

The registry is essentially split into system and user parts, and if only one user is affected you only need to restore that part of the registry.

Prior to restoring the registry I suggest you use the Tools / Backup Registry option or run a regular backup session just in case things go awry.

The disk letter is usually C: for Windows, please substitute your own drive letter if different:

The system registry is in:

C:\Windows\System32\Config (experts could try restoring the faulty hive, else restore the whole folder).

The user part of the registry is in two places and depends on Operating system:

XP & 2000: C:\Documents and Settings\Username\NTUser.dat
XP & 2000: C:\Documents and Settings\Username\\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat

Vista: C:\Users\Username (Every file that startswith NTUSER.DAT)
Vista: C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\ (Every file that starts with UsrClass.dat)

Barry
johngie

Post by johngie »

Thanks Barry, that was very helpful. The more I climb the learning curve, the more I realise what a useful app this is!!!

John