Cannot remove backup job

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
johngie

Cannot remove backup job

Post by johngie »

I'm a new user. For the first backup, I used quick job and hit the buttons. I chose a network drive as the destination but it took ages (more than 12 hours for about 50GB of data, using maximum compression). The second time, I used a USB2 connected external drive and configured the job manually. Apart from a freeze during the first attempt, it took about 5 hours so a bit more sensible.

Now, when I look at All Jobs, I can see both listed (the first one is called (C) Drive to disk. I would like to remove it. If I select it and right-click (Remove), nothing at all happens and the application freezes - I have to stop it from the Windows Task Manager. The network drive is accessible and all the files are still there, but there is no network activity when doing the above.

Help!!!!
Barry
Site Admin

Removing backup

Post by Barry »

AISBackup would appear to hang if there is difficulty accessing the network drive, what I suggest you do is resolve the connection problem using Windows rather than AISBackup and then remove the backup. Alternatively use this method:

Remove the backup job but choose to retain the backup; AISBackup now no longer knows about the job.

Go to the network drive, either by working directly with the remote PC or Windows Explorer and manually remove the backup.

Is this a NAS or a remote networked PC? Some NAS’ are very slow compared to PC based (Linux or Windows) file servers, and the fact they advertise 100Mbit network cards bears no relationship to the very much slower throughput.

Throughput can be improved to networked PC’s by using the Manage Backup / Change Backup Job Settings / Create backup then copy to media option, especially when backing up more than one PC simultaneously.

Barry
johngie

Re: Removing backup

Post by johngie »

Barry wrote:AISBackup would appear to hang if there is difficulty accessing the network drive, what I suggest you do is resolve the connection problem using Windows rather than AISBackup and then remove the backup. Alternatively use this method .........

Is this a NAS or a remote networked PC? Some NAS’ are very slow compared to PC based (Linux or Windows) file servers, and the fact they advertise 100Mbit network cards bears no relationship to the very much slower throughput.

Barry
Thanks for the help. It is an NAS drive and, yes it is slow. But it's working fine and can be seen and "worked on" by the computer from which the backup was made. All the zip files and the .buz and .bdb* files are there. What do you suggest - remove all these manually first?

Regards, John
Barry
Site Admin

Remove files from NAS

Post by Barry »

Remove the backup using AISBackup without removing the actual backup (i.e. do not type YES etc)

Then manually remove the files from the NAS using explorer, i.e. the folder containing the bdb, buz and zip files.

I have used a NAS purchased from Maplin (Mobile LANDisk - cheap), I has problems backing up to this unless I set the Manage Backup / Change Backup Job Settings / Create backup then copy to media option, especially when backing up from multiple PCs concurrently.

Barry