Affect of AISB on Internet Connection when hibernating syste

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
Trevor

Affect of AISB on Internet Connection when hibernating syste

Post by Trevor »

Hi

I am running version 2.6.1.233 of AISB on Windows XP (Service Pack 3).

I run AISB daily with Autorun, and it performs superbly. (':D') However, if I set the schedule to Hibernate the system when if finishes, it appears to have some affect on my internet connections.

When I bring the system out of hibernation everything appears to be working well, it loads correctly with whatever applications I had running, still in play. The broadband connection activates correctly. BUT, when I try to connect to the net, with whatever program, I receive a message such as "unable to connect to the server at ...." etc. This applies to Firefox, Thunderbird, Norton update, the Microsoft Security Centre site etc..

I can find no other problem caused by the program.

It is no great problem as I can hibernate the system manually, which has no evil affect. However, I am confused. Please help. :o

Thanks

Trevor Cave :D :D
Trevor
Barry
Site Admin

Auto-run and internet connection

Post by Barry »

I will have to look into this some more, and sorry for not replying earlier.

Do you use a modem or router?

If you use a router does right clicking the network connection and choosing 'repair' fix the problem?

There is one more option that could be tried in the API call SetSuspendState which was ignored by AISBackup because the parameter (called ForceCritical) was removed from Windows Vista.

Barry
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

Hi Barry

I connect through a modem.

Regards

Trevor
Trevor
Barry
Site Admin

Repair Modem

Post by Barry »

Can you try right clicking the modem in network connections and choosing repair?

Barry
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

Sorry you've lost me. There is no repair option on the right click menu of the modem. Are you thinking of Vista?

The modem is listed as ISDN Channel - Speed Touch 330 USB ADSL PPP.

Cheers.
Trevor
Barry
Site Admin

Modem

Post by Barry »

It is a possible Modem connection issue.

Perhaps disconnecting and re-connecting the modem will get things working again. I am thinking that the netowk IP address from your service provider becomes invalid after hibernating - unfortuately I cannot test that theory as the WAN IP address here is static.

If you disconnect the internet prior to running AISBackup with the hibernate option does that then allow internet connection after re-start?

Barry
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

Hello again

I have already tried disconnecting and reconnecting the modem, with no improvement. It connects OK to the ISP, but still reports that the server requested by the browser is unreachable.

I will try disconnecting the modem before backing up tonight and let you know the result tomorrow.

Regards
Trevor
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

I tried disconnecting the modem before running AISB but got the same result when I brought the machine out of hibernation. Thunderbird, Firefox and Norton Intenet Security all showed messages such as "Unable to contact server".

I shall go back to running AISB with instruction to do nothing on closing. It works fine like that.

Is there anything else to try?

Regards
Trevor