How does AISBACKUP overcome locked windows files

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
dannyreed

How does AISBACKUP overcome locked windows files

Post by dannyreed »

I am currently evaluating AISBACKUP for my Compaq Armada 11GB hd laptop, backing up to an IBM TravleStar 10GB pcmcia hard drive. I just completed my first full backup with NO errors , Yippie! (Haven't tried a restore more on that in a sec) The Travelstar comes with two backup programs. The first one I tried was called KharmaPi. When I tried to do a full backup with it, it skipped dozens of windows files claiming that they were locked. Just curious how does AISBACKUP overcome this proplem?

The 2nd backsw app on the Travlestar is called NovaStor SE, (I haven't tried it yet. Would you have any idea how it compares to AISbackup?

Now on to the restore, The instructions refer to using the batch program on a bootable cd to get things started by recovering 8.3 file names, then usins a script to recover everything else. What script is being referred to. In my case I backed up everything, including windows, and my next step would be to copy the backup from the travelstar to CD's then restore from the cd's preferably in one step. Please advise,

Final question (yes I do want to be a millionaire :lol: ) Seriously, ideally I would like to restore directly from the PCMCIA attached Travelstar to a spare laptop HD. Any idea if a DOS driver exist for a standard ESI secondary IDE PC card interface?

Thanks in advance!
Cheers,
Dan
Barry
Site Admin

AISBackup Opened Exclusive files

Post by Barry »

Hi Danny

There are not that many ‘Opened Exclusive’ files on Windows 95. 98 & ME. Some programs may not open files that are already ‘open’ (but not ‘exclusively open’) the program must set the file sharing parameter appropriately.

AISBackup copies opened exclusive files from FAT disk systems by using low level disk access. We have not got this working with NTFS files are there are a large number of issues to be resolved.

Files like the outlook.pst files are not opened exclusively but change size duiring the backup, we use the same low level disk access technique to backup these files from FAT disks. Better is to close Outlook, run the backup, restart Outlook. AISBackup can close and re-load programs automatically.

The ‘script’ on the restore option is perhaps badly named, indeed the concept and naming this a ‘script’ is probably not understood by some people. ‘Job’ or ‘Task’ is probably better. The script in this case is a DOS batch file called Restore.bat, you can open this up in Notepad to see what it does.

The disaster recovery restore of a PC is done in two stages:
  • 1/ Get some sort of Windows Operating system running with AISBackup and CD drivers if appropriate, this is where the ‘Emergency System Backup / Restore can be quite quick when restoring Windows 95, 98 & ME.

2/ From the above system restore the C: drive from your regular backup. AISBackup should be set to restore new and changed files in this scenario.
Sorry, I do not know the answer to your PCMCIA Travelstar DOS interface.

Barry