AIL files remain after Backup to FTP ?

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
beheer

AIL files remain after Backup to FTP ?

Post by beheer »

For some servers in our DMZ I use the Backup to FTP method. I have a/o enabled 'Remove local backup after upload' and 'On the fly upload'

I notice that when the backup has been finished, AIL files remain in the local directory. When I look at the FTP site, I don't see any AIL files for these servers, so unless they are stored into ZIP files it seems they have not been uploaded.

What could be the reason for this behaviour?
Barry
Site Admin

FTP Backup

Post by Barry »

FTP backup was originally conceived as a backup for smaller files so huge file support (AIL files) was never included. Huge files are files which are over 4GB (Windows 2000 +) or over 2GB (Windows 95, 98 & ME).

However we have had requests that we split ‘smaller’ large files from some users and we are looking at using the ‘huge file’ code already in AISBackup to implement this. There will be an option to choose the pre-encrypted size of these file segments to suit different user requirements.

AISBackup does not support zip files > 4GB and it unlikely it will in favour of using a proprietary file format more suited to data backup, which will probably also include AES encryption.

The ‘huge file’ file splitting is been looked at now with a view to it been in version 2.6.1.

Barry
beheer

Re: FTP Backup

Post by beheer »

Barry wrote:FTP backup was originally conceived as a backup for smaller files so huge file support (AIL files) was never included. Huge files are files which are over 4GB (Windows 2000 +) or over 2GB (Windows 95, 98 & ME).
So if I first make sure (e/g by compressing) that all files to be backed up from the Windows 2003 server are each smaller than 4GB, FTP Backup will be able to handle them properly?

Arie
Barry
Site Admin

FTP Maximum file size

Post by Barry »

I was just looking at the code and it looks like with FTP files > 2GB would not be uploaded; looking at the size of files not copied to the ftp server, do you concur?

Barry
beheer

Re: FTP Maximum file size

Post by beheer »

Barry wrote:I was just looking at the code and it looks like with FTP files > 2GB would not be uploaded; looking at the size of files not copied to the ftp server, do you concur?

Barry
When I look at the size of the ZIP files actually copied by AISbackup to the FTP server, I see at least 2 files bigger that 2 GB:
one file of 2,700,471,703 bytes and one file of 2,278,156,580 bytes

So no, I do not concur. Sorry :-)

Arie
Barry
Site Admin

FTP changes

Post by Barry »

AISBackup 2.6.1 Build 319 has been uploaded (pre-release). This version will upload the .AIL files, you may also specify the segment size at which files split using the Manage Backup / Change Backup Job Settings / FTP Settings / Split files at (MB)

Barry