backups with multiple partitions

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
sunder

Post by sunder »

I am testing this software for our company and so far it has worked great for single partition computers but I have run into a small snag.

I am testing AIS on a server with 3 mirrored arrays and each array has two partitions.

I can create a backup just fine of all the data on each of the partitions (Drive C, Drive D, Drive M, Drive O, and Drive P).
When I restore the data, the C drive and D drive go to the correct locations but the remaining partitions have the data swapped in the wrong drive letters.

When I choose to do the restore it asks for the correct paths for Drive M, O, and P, I choose a path but the data gets all mixed up and put into wrong drive letter.

After the restore completes I restart the pc and the drive letters are not what they were when I took the image.

When you do a full restore shouldn't it recreate the drive letters and set it up exactly as it was when you took the snapshot of the image?

Any help would be appreciated. If I can get this figured out we are looking at purchasing AIS for around 25 servers.
Barry
Site Admin

Wrong drive restore?

Post by Barry »

Have the disk drives got different volume names?

Was the restore set to 'restore to original drive'?

In the Restore From Backup form is the list of files under each drive letter correct?

If you restore each drive separately and specifie the destination (rather than original drive) does that work? e.g. restore drive M: to Drive (type this in) M:/

Barry
sunder

Post by sunder »

I can format them with a 3rd party utility and name them but when I boot from Bart PE with the AIS plugin utility on it it gives the drive letters the first available letter. The answer would be yes, the voumes do have differnet names.

The drive was set to orignial drive.

The restore from backup shows all of the drives correctly with the correct drive letter.

I did a restore of all the drives and it booted up fine. The drive letters were mixed up though. I then renamed the partitions ( Drive D, M, O, P) since windows was booted up and ran a restore pointing them to the correct path and that seemed to work.

It just seems like a long route to take to get it back to the original state.
Barry
Site Admin

Another question

Post by Barry »

Was this restore to another physical disk? If it is then I think I know what is wrong:

AISBackup does ensure that C: drive (or rather the Widnows drive) is restored with the correct drive letter but after booting Windows for the first time Windows is automatically assinging disk drive letters to the other drives.

A work around is to restore Windows first, then boot from th restore drive and then restore the remainder of the backup.

Have I got the correct scenario?

Barry