DVD Writing Problem

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
Brian E

DVD Writing Problem

Post by Brian E »

A weird problem has started up when writing to DVD's when the data spans more than one disk. I have tried backing up some of my data using several different backup programs, but each either fails on testing the second disk (which always seems to be blank) or refuses to recognise the second disk when inserted. Any ideas? I have checked the disk driver and it is apparently up to date.
Regards

Brian E
Barry
Site Admin

New version - new disc writer

Post by Barry »

A pre-release version of AISBackup has been uploaded which uses a new disc writer, this may fix the problem. The old disc writer has not been removed in case of problems.

http://www.aiscl.co.uk/aisbackupbeta.php

Barry
Brian E

Post by Brian E »

This is a curious problem. I created a new backup after installing my replacement DVD writer. The backup spanned three disks. After the first disk had been written to, I received a message saying that the contents could not be read for testing (or words to that effect), so I cancelled the backup. I then closed down AIS Backup and restarted it, which generated a message asking me if I wanted to test the disk just created. I answered "Yes" and put the disk back in the drive, after which the test ran without any problems. Next, I asked AIS Backup to continue with the backup and put in the next (pre-formatted) Verbatim DVD+RW disk. The remainder of the backup onto disks 2 and 3 continued without any problems, including the testing phase.

One other thing, I had to format the new disks before running a backup as otherwise, the disks were reported as being still blank when I came to check them afterwards. Would I be better off using DVD-RW disks as I seem to remember that they don't need any pre-formatting?
Regards

Brian E
Brian E

Post by Brian E »

Since posting this information, my computer supplier has provided me with a new DVD writer. Here is an example of the current problem I am having:-

I created a backup for my music collection, which spans three DVD's. I initially set up the job not to check the backed-up data and then after the backup had finished, I went back and ran the test phase, which passed without any problems. A few days later, I had to update the backup as I had edited one of the songs, so I ran AIS Backup again, but this time, when the testing phase started, AIS Backup kept reporting that no disc had been inserted. I exited AIS Backup and checked the disc from My Computer and that similarly reported that no disc had been inserted. However, when I rebooted my computer, the disc was recognised and all the files were intact (AIS Backup then ran its test phase successfully). I have no idea what might be causing this problem or how to solve it.
Regards

Brian E