Unexpected DVD management & labelling after faulty DVD.

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
IanA

Unexpected DVD management & labelling after faulty DVD.

Post by IanA »

Using backup job "DVD107A" to a set of DVDs over long period...

Latest disc DVD107A05 failed - Could only read files saved on or before 09/01/08 - there have been several backups since then.

Decided to validate the whole set of 5 discs and AISBackup reported...

Perfect Matches: 89918
Near Matches, Fixed: 0
No Matches, Removed: 9658
Duplicates. Removed: 0
Never Backed Up, Removed: 0
Orphans Added to Drive'?': 0
Missing Files re-instated: 2777
Duplicate Folders Removed: 0
Huge File Segments Checked: 0
Huge Files Failed Removed: 0
Huge Files Failed Restartable: 0
Files Not Checked: 0

Thought I'd be clever (fatal!) and copied accessible files from DVD107A05 thereby having a non-faulty DVD with lots of room for subsequent backups (also named the disc DVD107A05).

Then ran backup job and it asked for a disc OR...
"A pre-used disc from this job with enough free
space may also be used."
So tried to get it to accept the newly created DVD107A05 but it refused - I had to give it a blank disk - At the end it said the disc should be labelled DVD107A05 - I was surprised because I didn't think it was going to replace the validated files that it had found on the original DVD107A05 (or has it simply written off the whole disc?). :?

If it hasn't written off the whole disc then I've got two DVD107A05's in the set.

The backup continued to another disc and AISBackup requested...

Please Load: A Blank Disc [Label: DELL 5 BACKU01]

WHAT ??? !!!! - Where did that come from?

I'm now thinking my best bet is to start this job again from scratch otherwise I won't have confidence in it and at least I won't have to keep track of the alternative labelling system that has been introduced - what do you think?

Cheers

Ian
IanA

Post by IanA »

Forgot to say...

Version: 2.6.0.314
Platform: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)

Ian
Barry
Site Admin

Post by Barry »

If the last disc in a backup set fails then you can reset the backup to the end of the previous disc.

1/ Remove the job from the AISBackup with Manage Backup / Remove backup Job From List.

2/ Re-instate the backup, but from disc 5 and not the faulty disc 6: Tools / Open Job From Backup Media.

The last backup session is likely to be incomplete, but just run another backup to get things back in order.

Version 2.6.1 pre-release will be uploaded soon, this has an option to repair (or rather re-create) DVD’s and CD’s using identical data that still exists on the PC – some information will be lost as many files change between backup’s.

Barry