Upgrade and Transfer

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
demitch256

Upgrade and Transfer

Post by demitch256 »

Hi...I'm interested in doing a"barebones" upgrade to my system. Of course, this would require transferring all my files and programs over to the new system, as well as, re-installing Windows XP. I currently have 2 hard drives on my system lettered: Drive C: (Primary) and Drive G: (Secondary). I also have a partitioned 160GB external HD that I use for backups. What would be the fastest and easiest way to transfer all my files and OS to the new system using AISBackup?. I have a general idea of what to do, but being that this is my first upgrade, I'd like to hear from someone who has successfully done it before. I currently have version 2.6

Thanks,

demitch256
Barry
Site Admin

Upgrading the PC options

Post by Barry »

Usually restoring a complete backup to a new PC of different chip types, disk types etc causes huge problems, i.e. the boot process stops as soon as the disk drivers are installed, VIA don't work with Intel as Petrol does not work in Diesel cars.

However it may be possible to prepare the existing PC’s disk to work with any chipset, and I have had some success with this, see this post:

http://www.aiscl.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=434

Actually you could use the opportunity to set things up from scratch discarding all those programs you never or rarely use. And then restore documents and settings – but definitely not the registry – I’m sure AISBackup asks about restoring the user part of the registry to prevent this problem. Also do not restore the NTFS security settings when restoring your data or the restored files may be protected and inaccessible. I personally prefer to use AISBackup’s drag and drop method of restoring files and folders like this so that you know precisely where the files and folders are going, I.e. open the restore form and Windows explorer then select (for example) Favourites and drag the folder to C: \ Documents and settings \ Your Name.

AISBackup does not do individual parts of the registry, but it is possible to create registry backups for a specific application which can then be restored on the new PC, but hey, I cannot be blamed if anything goes wrong – backup the registry before importing. I have used this method when transferring Windows 98 data and programs to Windows XP and is often the only way if the original installation disks have been lost.

Barry