What does "user mapped Section open" mean

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
Newbietoo

What does "user mapped Section open" mean

Post by Newbietoo »

Hi

I did a streaming restore of my C Drive and ended up with errors for 37 files "The requested operations could not be performed as a file with a user-mapped section is open".

Now I thought I understood what that meant...a file in use could not be replaced, but a lot of the files were fonts (.ttf) and others were files I didn't recognise (.nls and some .dll's). If AIS was going to lock anything I thought they would be critical OS files, which I guess the .nls and .dll's could be, but a bunch of obscure fonts? In any case doesn't AIS implement file-locking that permits overwriting of active files?

My problem of course is that given such cryptic advice I can't tell if the restore is safe or not...it works, but who knows when it might stop.

As it happens the problem I wanted to fix and that had prevented the system booting other than in Safe Mode still existed after the restore (I restored a back-up that pre-dated the occurrence of that problem). I'd very much doubt that the faulty needed to be locked as I'd think (by definition) it could not be active having been by-passed by the Safe Mode start-up

Thanks
Patrick
Newbietoo
Barry
Site Admin

Restore in-use files

Post by Barry »

AISBackup effectively locks the whole file when it is restoring the file because the file will not be consistent until the restore is complete. However AISBackup will not directly replace a file if it is already open because the application or operating system using the said file will undoubtedly fail.

When AISBackup encounters an open file or a system protected operating system file it restores to the temporary folder (usually C:\AISRSTR) and arranges with the operating system to replace the file during the next re-boot. This is the recommended way of restoring files in this case.

AISBackup does not open files with ‘user mapped section locked’ areas as the whole file is to be restored, however the operating system or other application may already have files open in this state – one such file that is normally open in this way is outlook.pst.

I have come across problems restoring files in ?:\System volume Information as this area is used by the operating system to track disk changes for Microsoft System Restore, amongst other things, where your files in System Volume Information.

You mention that there is some other problem with your PC and there is a chance (however slim) that this is causing AISBackup not to restore the files in question. I would like you to send me a copy of the restore log (or post it here) so that I may give a more informed answer. However, it may also be possible that there is a NTFS corruption and a scan disk (Command Prompt | CHKDSK C: /F) should remedy this.

If there is a problem in AISBackup your log file may help fix it.

Barry