AISBackup and RAID

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
Nicolas Forwood

AISBackup and RAID

Post by Nicolas Forwood »

Hello Barry

After 7 years it was time to say goodbye to my old DELL Dimension 8100.So I built a new PC myself with an ASUS P5K3 Deluxe WiFi motherboard, Intel Core 2 Duo E6850, Intel ICH9R Chipset, SATA2 WD2500AAKS Caviar SE16 /250/7200/16MB, ASUS SATA DVD +/- RW DRW-2014L1T, and 2GB DDR3/1066 memory. OS still the same, XP(SP2). I also connected the 2 existing EIDE hard drives I had on my DELL 80GB and 40GB.

It is about 2 weeks now that I have the above running, all is fine and did 2 good backups on DVD+RW with AISBackup. A couple of days ago, I decided to enable the AHCI controller in my BIOS and in the process I learned that I should have installed a driver before I installed XP. So I re installed XP including the Intel RAID / AHCI Driver and although I don’t have RAID now at least the system is ready to do so in the future.

Now I discover that AISBackup is not working, On the CD-RW DVD-RW Erase Session window it shows currently Loaded ? = None and the Erase button is Faded. However it did work to make a mirror copy from C:\ to D:\. I also noticed that I have now a new driver, Jmicron JMB36X RAID Configurer Tool, and I suspect that it may interfer with AISBackup.

Is it possible that AISBackup is not compatible with RAID / AHCI ? I know that with RAID1, a backup may not be required but I would still prefer, if I can, to have a backup on DVD’s.

Cheers
Nicolas Forwood

Trying to get AISBackup (2.5, 309) working on my new system, this is what I discover today (As I mentioned earlier, I have 1 SATA 250GB HD, and 2 IDE HD’s + my DVD+/-RW is SATA).

My BIOS SATA configuration settings has 3 options: IDE, AHCI & RAID. If I set it to AHCI or RAID, AISBackup does not see my DVD+/-RW but my other DVD authoring programs (CDBurnerXP, DeepBurner, Micro20) they see my DVD and I am able to write files on them.

If I set the BIOS SATA configuration settings to IDE, then AISBackup sees my DVD and works fine.
Barry
Site Admin

AISBackup detecting DVD writer

Post by Barry »

Please try the Tools / Program Settings and Options / Troubleshoot DVD option to see if another installed ASPI driver detects the drive.

It is possible that AISBackup is defaulting to an incompatible ASPI driver.

Barry
Nicolas Forwood

It has been so long that AISBackup is working so well that I forgot all about the settings.

No all is working fine

Thank you
Nicolas Forwood

Perhaps other Forum Members may find the following of interest.

My mobo has 4 Primary SATA Ports (Red) and 2 Ports which are black. I had pluged my SATA DVD+/-RW to a black port.

Reading on ASUS forums I learned that a SATA device can be pluged to either red or black ports whereas an IDE device should be pluged to a red port if it is a Master Boot disk and black port if it is a Slave data disk.

Connecting my DVD+/-RW to a Red port solved my problems with AISBackup. I now have the default ASPI driver and I dont get during the test face of a backup the message that I have to re start AISB to complete the test.