Using AISbackup to backup other servers?

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
beheer

Using AISbackup to backup other servers?

Post by beheer »

I am evaluating AISbackup and would like to know if it can do the following.

The setup I have in mind would be to install a 'master' (or server) version of AISbackup on a central server, to install 'slave' (or client) versions of AISbackup on a number of other servers, and then to create Jobs in the master version which would instruct the clients to make a backup of their server to a central location.
To be more precise, for the central location I intend to use a LaCie 2Big Network drive (2TB) which can be accessed (with te correct username/password as a shared network driver (SMB server), as FTP server or as HTTP server,

In a later stage we may even install a similar NAS device on an off-site location and then I would like to be able to make backups to that location as well, using a second (or maybe the same) "master" version of AISbackup. The advantage of using a second master would be that it can use a different schedule, the disadvantage might be to synchronize these schedules so the two "master' version will not try to use the same :"slave" version at the same time to make a backup of the server it is installed on.

The servers we would like to backup this way are currently running mainly windows 2000 server and 2003 server, with a number of Windows NT and inux servers If the Windows NT and Linux systems cannot be backed up with AISbackum, however, that would not be too big of a problem because we have other means to back them up.

My question is, can I indeed use AISbackup for this master/slave or client/server setup?

MTIA

Arie
Barry
Site Admin

AISBackup Client Server

Post by Barry »

AISBackup does not support client server in the current release, however this is planned. There is a remote management module under development, but so far this only shows logs from networked backups and each network PC (or server) must have access to a common networked folder.

AISBackup supports backup to networked external drives and backup jobs can be set-up in a way that enables drives to be swapped out for secure storage (fire proof safe). When a disk is swapped the next backup is based on the contents of the new disk - so a full backup will be run if the disk is new.

It has been found that many simultaneous backups over the same network can be very slow so AISBackup supports backing up the files locally and then transferring the backup 'zip' file.

A lot of work was done on a client server environment a few years ago but with the then Vista pending and reports of services not working properly and development environment changes (AISBackup uses INDY 10 network components). The client server will be looked at again but needs to 'grow' in a controlled way rather than be 'all singing and dancing' from day 1.

So I am afraid the answer today is no.