Limiting backup size

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
Brian E

Limiting backup size

Post by Brian E »

Is it possible to set an overall limit for the size of a backup?

I store my backups on both an external hard drive and DVDs. I want to be able to set a limit as to how much of the external hard drive AIS backups are allowed to occupy. I noticed that some backup programs such as Backup4All allow the user to set an overall size limit and also when to decide to perform a complete backup (based on such factors as the size of any differential or incremental backups compared with the original full back up). Is it possible to set AIS Backup to function in a similar manner?
Regards

Brian E
Brian E

Post by Brian E »

Any news on this?
Regards

Brian E
Barry
Site Admin

Limiting disk space

Post by Barry »

Do you want the backup to report a warning if the available free space is less than a specified value?

Do you want an option not to start the backup if (available free space - estimated size of backup) < specified 'retain free space' value?

Is this requirement a per backup job setting?

Barry
Brian E

Post by Brian E »

Hi Barry

It would be great to have some options like these on a per-job basis and also the option to automatically reset the backup and perform a new full backup once the specified criteria had been met. Perhaps you could have a look at Backup4All and see what you think about how they handle these issues as they seem pretty good to me and allow great flexibility. One of the things I don't like about their program is it doesn't seem to be possible to restore individual files or folders, (unless I have missed the obvious), so I wouldn't consider changing from AIS Backup.
Regards

Brian E
Barry
Site Admin

Auto Pruning

Post by Barry »

Have you looked at advanced session handling where AISBackup automatically prunes older backup data from the backup?

Barry
Brian E

Post by Brian E »

Hi Barry

Yes, I do use the prune option, but I still can't see how you can actually set a maximum limit for a backup size. It may be there, but it's not obvious (at least, not to me).
Regards

Brian E
Barry
Site Admin

Backup size limit

Post by Barry »

Hi Brian

The backup size limit option is not there yet.

Barry