What is the best way for inital FTP-Backup by slow line?

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
ComPro

What is the best way for inital FTP-Backup by slow line?

Post by ComPro »

Hi,

not really a problem. We want to do daily incremental backups over a small DSL line to a different office.
For fire-prevention and if someone will take the server away.

I want/should :lol: to do the first locally (ca.20GB :shock: ) and the incrementals later by FTP.

What is the best way to do it? Can I cange the destination later to a FTP-Profile?
Gruß
Heiko
Barry
Site Admin

First FTP Backup

Post by Barry »

AISBackup enables manual transfer of FTP backup data using a portable device. Here is an extract from the AISBackup help file - I hope it helps ;-)

FTP Manually Transferring the Backup.

Some backup's can be quite large and may take a long time to transfer using FTP, this is where AISBackup's ability to only backup differences since the last backup is useful. However, the first backup session could be rather large and you may prefer to make arrangements to manually transfer the data to the FTP server using an external disk drive. AISBackup enabled this option with the Enable manual transfer option which may be set by using the menu option Manage Backup / Change Backup Job Settings / FTP Settings.

Running the backup.

If the Enable manual transfer option is set AISBackup asks the Question Prepare backup for manual transfer rather than using FTP? when Run Backup is selected, answer No to proceed normally, answer Yes to create a local backup suitable for transferring to the FTP Server. Please note that access to the FTP server must be maintained because AISBackup creates flag file on the remote server to register that a manual transfer is pending.

Transferring the backup.

Once the backup has completed transfer the files from the local backup folder to an external drive, and then from there to the actual FTP folder. Ensure that the file named ManualTransferComplete.sem is copied as this file, along with the FTP based file WaitingForManualTransfer.sem indicate that the manual transfer is complete. AISBackup will automatically remove both these files during the next backup session.

What to transfer?

Even though the whole of the local PC copy of the backup may be transferred to the FTP Server the file ftptransferlist.txt contains the list of files which must be manually copied to the server.
ComPro

Re: First FTP Backup

Post by ComPro »

Barry wrote:AISBackup enables manual transfer of FTP backup data using a portable device. Here is an extract from the AISBackup help file - I hope it helps ;-)
Opps, I had a superficial look to the help file.
Next time I should gigger a little bit more :roll:
Gruß
Heiko