Restrict File Size for FTP?

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
chrism

Restrict File Size for FTP?

Post by chrism »

In my daily FTP backup there are a couple of database files which are currently about 320MB, which zip down to around 70MB, each in a single file. My FTP connection invariably stalls during transfer of these larger files. AISBackup is well-behaved and after resetting and resending several times always has been succesful in uploading the files, but I would like to be able to divide them into smaller chunks and hopefully eliminate the stall problem completely which will greatly reduce the overall time the backup takes.

The Maximum Backup (zip) Size has been set to 25MB in Program Settings>Advanced but this appears to have an "or 1 file if larger" override.

I have seen reference here on the board to a setting for "Huge Files" that will force large files to be spanned over several zip files, but have not been able to locate where this is turned on. Would you please point me in the right direction?

Thanks, Chris.
Barry
Site Admin

FTP

Post by Barry »

The huge file never did work with FTP backups, and is only used now if a files is over 4GB or if there is not enough remaining free space on media such as DVD or CD.

Have you any control over which FTP server you use? Many modern servers support resuming of failed file upload (as does AISBackup). Basically if the remote server supports checksum checking and resume AISBackup will automatically check what has been uploaded so far and if this is okay will resume the actual upload from where it failed.

Try a trial version of Gene6 FTP Server:

http://www.g6ftpserver.com/

Barry
chrism

Post by chrism »

Thanks for the suggestion - unfortunately I have no control over the FTP server that is used.

I contacted the network administrators about this issue and their response was to suggest using SFTP instead. Is that an option within AISBackup?

Thanks again, Chris.
chrism

Post by chrism »

Hmmm... I guess no response means that SFTP is not an option.

Since I have been able to manually complete failed uploads in the morning with few problems, I have changed the time the backup runs and this seems to have all but eliminated the problem I was having with stalls. It appears this was likely a network traffic issue rather than an issue with AISB.

Chris.
Barry
Site Admin

SFTP

Post by Barry »

The current versiuon of AISBackup does not support SFTP, however it is on the list of things to look at.

Barry
Barry
Site Admin

AISBackup can now split large files

Post by Barry »

AISBackup 2.6.1 Build 319 has been uploaded (pre-release). This version will upload the .AIL files, you may also specify the segment size at which files are split using the Manage Backup / Change Backup Job Settings / FTP Settings / Split files at (MB)

Barry