some old projects won't re-instate?

Use this forum for help with AISBackup
moshes

some old projects won't re-instate?

Post by moshes »

Hi,
I am using AISBackup 2.4.0.303 on WinXP SP2. I am trying to re-instate a backup that was made with a previous installation of AISBackup. I have a couple such backups. For some, after I select Tools->Open Job From Backup Media (the backup is stored on an external USB harddrive) AISBackup prompts me if I want to re-instate. When I say yes, all is good.

For other backup jobs, though, it never prompts me for whether to re-instate. First it prompts me for a password (although I have never used a password) and then when I leave the password field blank and hit OK it just jumps straight to the "Select Backup Session" screen and then "Select files to restore" as if I have asked to restore from the backup. Re-instate is never offered as an option.

Help!
Barry
Site Admin

Re-instate job rules

Post by Barry »

There are two reasons why a job will not be re-instated:

1/ A job already exists with the same name.

2/ The job was originally run using an old version of AISBackup, when the job control file (jobname.buz) Was not stored on the backup media.

In both cases the job is treated as ‘restore only’ and that is why the restore dialogue is automatically called.

Barry
moshes

Post by moshes »

Hi Barry, thanks for your reply.

I don't think that the backup which I wish to re-instate was created by a particularly old version of AISBackup - it is one which was installed about a year ago. There are .buz files on the backup media, but it seems something may be wrong with them. I took a look at the .buz files for a few projects: for the project which I have no problem importing the file is a straightforward text file which I can easily read. For the project which won't import the file seems to be binary, and I can't make out anything of its contents.

Since I can find more than one project where the buz file is 'binary' I assume this isn't some kind of corruption or disk error. Is there no way to recover / repair this file, given that I have all of the other backup files (zips, etc.)?

Moshe
Barry
Site Admin

.buz file

Post by Barry »

Is the .buz file on the backup (or another backup)? If it is then just drag and drop it from the AISBackup restore form to an explorer view of the backup folder; this can be a version from a backup of the AISBackup database folder.

The .buz file does not need to be up-to-date as this information is held in the .bdb file.

Please report back if this works okay.

Barry
moshes

Post by moshes »

I wasn't able to find a copy of the .buz file anywhere else other than its primary location on the backup media.

On the computer which was backed up by this job the C:\Backups directory is empty. This is also the case on my own PC where I use AISBackup. I assume that that's what you meant by "the AISBackup database folder"... unless you mean a backup of the backup destination itself... why would I do that?!

I guess I am going to have to start a new backup job.
Barry
Site Admin

Backup database files

Post by Barry »

AISBackup stores the database in the database directory on the PC, under Windows XP this is usually:

C:\Program Files\Aquarius IS Consultancy\AISBackup\Database

Under Windows Vista the database folder is usually:

C:\ProgramData\Aquarius IS Consultancy\AISBackup\Database

Maybe you have a backup of this folder taken around the time the external drive backup was made.

If the bdb file is okay then it will be possible to fix this backup, after all you can restore from it.

I have not got time right now, but I will document a way of fixing this kind of problem if you have no .buz file.

Barry
moshes

Post by moshes »

Barry,

The Database folder is empty on the PC which was being backed up and it is also empty in the backup itself.

I appreciate the time you've put into addressing my question. At this point I'm going to just create a new backup job, and in the future I'm going to be a little more careful about upgrading to a new version of AISBackup.

Moshe
Barry
Site Admin

How to recover a backup job where the .buz file is missing

Post by Barry »

This worked:

I removed the .buz file from an external drive backup and another one from a disk based backup, I then removed both backup jobs from AISBackup without deleting the backup itself. I am pretty sure that this is the situation your backups are in.

I then created an external drive backup, giving it any old name, I selected the destination as the existing backup by double clicking one of the zip files. I did not select any other options or files for backup.

I then used the Manage Backup / Import Backup Contents file, this imported the actual backup to the new .buz file.

Barry
moshes

Post by moshes »

That makes a lot of sense. I will give it a try as soon as I can get back at the computer that needs to be backed up.

Thanks again for your efforts.